Temp Problem.

Started by watchdog56, January 28, 2012, 09:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

OK did the extra heating element and now I am making some sticks. Preheated smoker at 160 with my PID but my Maverick ET 73 said it was climbing at 180 to 190. Opened the door to let cool down. Next stage have PID set for 130 for 1 hour and it is around 140. Both probes are under the bottom rack next to each other. PID settings are 130 for 1 hour then 150 for 2 hours then 170 until done. I have turned my Maverick on and off thinking something might be up with that but same results. I will be going away for a couple of hours so don't want this thing to get to hot. Is there something I need to do to reset the PID with the extra element in there? I do have the option of turning off the extra element.

watchdog56

Seems to be stabilizing a little. Only running about 10 degree over set temp right now.

devo

Good to hear. You might want to do an auto tune down the road to make sure your pid is reading OK

mikecorn.1

You need to auto tune
Your PID.
autotune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Tiny Tim

If your smoke generator is in the cabinet (normal set up), it can get the temp over 150 on its own pretty easily, depending on ambient temp and sun hitting it.

TedEbear

Quote from: watchdog56 on January 28, 2012, 09:39:49 AMIs there something I need to do to reset the PID with the extra element in there?

If you added a second element and didn't run the autotune afterward then you need to do that.  The PID still thinks it is controlling a single 500W element.

Simon1969

Can you use the standard bradley digital smoker's controller to power an extra 500w element or a single 900w element?

I tried mine for the second time yesterday and the temp swings are a nightmare, it takes ages to get back up to temp between the controllers temps switching cycle. It took over 10hrs for a 3lb brisket, after the 10+hrs I put it in my home oven to finish it off.
Regards,

Simon

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Simon1969 on April 23, 2012, 03:40:24 AM
Can you use the standard bradley digital smoker's controller to power an extra 500w element or a single 900w element?

I tried mine for the second time yesterday and the temp swings are a nightmare, it takes ages to get back up to temp between the controllers temps switching cycle. It took over 10hrs for a 3lb brisket, after the 10+hrs I put it in my home oven to finish it off.
You will need a PID to run a 900 or second 500w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike