• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Fixed puck feeding problem!

Started by Fernslinger, January 30, 2012, 05:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernslinger

I have been having an ongoing problem where pucks were not reliably feeding in my 4 rack DBS. About 6 months ago when I called customer service they thought my motor was going out so they sent me a new one. This didn't solve the problem, so I finally tore the smoke generator apart this weekend to see what was actually going on. While watching the actuator while pressing the manual puck feed I noticed the motor alternates between clockwise and counterclockwise. The feeder would work perfect going one direction but usually fail going the other way...resulting in the pusher plate binding about half way during the retraction process. This would cause the motor to stop and go back the other way resulting in no puck being dropped :/ After removing the screws to the cage that goes over the pusher plate I could see where the two pieces were rubbing on one side during full retraction. The pusher plate is shaped like a "U" so I just slightly bent the vertical piece to a more approximate 90 degree angle and put it back together. I then ran a bunch of test pucks and there was zero binding! Ended up being an easy fix:) Hope this helps someone else who is having similar issues...I also hope my explanation makes sense! Happy smoking!

mikecorn.1

Cool, nice fix. Love it when a plan goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Quarlow

Good deal. That is a good thing to know. Thanks Fernslinger.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

If I understand you problem, there are also screws that you can loosen and realing the drive guide rails.

If you click on this link and look at the bottom of the post you will see which screws to loosen for the alignment:

Bisquettes Don't Advance

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Fernslinger

I tried to do the realign trick first but it was still binding. The slight tweak to the pusher plate ultimately is what fixed mine.

crestman

I know this is a bit old, but I've been having the exact same issues with mine....New motor etc. I'm going to pull it apart to see if this works. May as well use the stick burner if I have to stand there (or set timer for 18min's) and manually advance the pucks every 20mins.

mikecorn.1

True.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

JZ

I had the same problem with my OBS and ended up with the same fix as Fernslinger.

Crestman here is a link to my fix that has some pics that might help you out. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=27684.0

crestman

ChadO

After reading this topic, I was inspired to look at mine as well.  Sure enough, I have a small wear on the inside of the guide, and on the slider plate as well.  Not as deep (wear marks) as the pictures I have seen posted here, but definitely a small rub.  I am going to try the recommended fixes to see if that doesn't help.

One thing that I noticed - my slider plate, or the piece that pushes the pucks - has a lot of play in it.  I can gently lift it up and down, and almost spin it all the way around.  If it wasn't for the guide piece, who knows what direction it would go when the arm pushed it.  Is this pretty normal?  I don't really see any adjustment to it, and that may be as designed, but just checking with others to see if that is the norm.

Thanks!

ChadO

Habanero Smoker

Hi Chado;

Welcome to the forum.

The slider plate on mine has some up and down movement, to help it glide with less friction, but I have never checked if it could be rotated.

A few members have filed the slider plate so that it will not rub, but I feel it is easier to adjust the rails. There are two screws on each rail. Loosen the screws on the side which the slider is rubbing. If it is both loosen the screws on both sides. Make sure the railing is loose enough to move. This may require some cleaning and removing built up smoke residue which may be causing the rails to stick. Then push the wood advance button a few times this will let the motor align the push plate find its own center line. Carefully tighten the screws, without moving the rail. Push the wood advance button to make sure the alignment is correct.

I hope this helps.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)