Auto tune- How often?

Started by watchdog56, January 31, 2012, 06:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

How often should you do the auto tune? I have had my unit for a couple of years and have done around 40 smokes with it never being auto tuned.I finally did it and was wondering is there a guideline as to how often?
Second question is- is it better to tune with 1 temp like when you do ribs at 225 for 5 hours or would it be better to do it when doing sausage at different temps and for longer periods?

mikecorn.1

hopefully somebody can answer this. I would like to know myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

TedEbear

You shouldn't have to run the auto-tune more than one time, unless you've changed something such as adding a second element.  Once the PID controller has established the parameters it does not "drift" out of calibration.

As far as what temp to set it at they say to have everything setup the way you will be smoking most things and put the setpoint at that temp.

beefmann

auto tune should be  done only  one time, unless there is a change of some kind

pensrock

yep, tune it one time at a setting near your normal operating temp. Also always tune with a simulated load in the smoker, it can be bricks or a pan filled with sand, doesn't matter but I would use at least ten pounds. The only time you should have to re-tune the instrument is if something drastic changes like you add a second heating element or possibly a fan. When I used to install and set up industrial controllers for a customer, sometimes I would run another tune to really narrow it down then make the final settings by hand. But that takes many years of experience and I would not suggest anyone do it unless you really know what you are doing.

mikecorn.1

Has anyone had to run the auto tune since installing a fan mod that you know of. I have a fan on it's way for my bds4. I already have the PID 2 probe. 

Mike

muebe

You will want to run another auto tune after installing the fan.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Quote from: muebe on January 31, 2012, 11:23:30 AM
You will want to run another auto tune after installing the fan.
Dam!! Never though about that with the fan mod. Guess I need to read up on info on how to auto tune the PID. 

Mike

watchdog56

When I did my auto tune it seemed like it was doing a 6 degree swing in temp. I was wondering if doing it again would get a tighter temp range?

TedEbear

Quote from: watchdog56 on February 01, 2012, 04:22:37 AMI was wondering if doing it again would get a tighter temp range?

It won't harm anything to run it and see.

pensrock

If its only +-6 degrees then I would run it again.