• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

How long does it take to reach desired tempature?

Started by lepps50, January 31, 2012, 11:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lepps50

Just started to use my smoker and it's been 45 minutes and it just reached 200 deg.  Outside temp is 57 degrees?  Have heat lever on high, trying to reach 220?

mikecorn.1

Yep. It can take a while. Variables like wind and cold among others
Can affect the process. Some members have opted to put a second  element or a single 900w to help with  initial heat up and or recovery times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

KyNola

Mike beat me to it.  If it is a windy day where you are, try to find a way to block the wind from blowing directly across the top of your smoker.  It will suck the heat right out of the smoker.  DON'T close the vent thinking that will help.  In fact, if you closed it thinking it would help build up the heat quicker, open it.

lepps50

thanks guys - have it under my fron't porch out of the wind.

thanks again

Rad Rich

Make sure you have very hot water in the water pan.  Cold water will keep the heat down for awhile.  Also make sure all your cords are plugged in real tight.  I had same problem before and the cord was not all the way in on the back of the cabinet.   Are you using an extension cord?  Make sure it's a good one.  I use a 10 gauge cord and I have no more heat problems at all.  I also use a second digital thermometer on my lowest rack.  I'm smokin at 230 and my cabinet temp dial will read 185.  What ever you are smoking will block the flow of air by your door thermometer and you might be at a higher temp than you think.
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

smokeshed

You may also want to check the seal around the door. On my first use the seal was open about 1/2" on the bottom of the door and a little on the side. I could see smoke escaping from it so I knew heat was as well. I contacted Bradley and they are sending a new door. Just something to double check.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: smokeshed on February 07, 2012, 04:01:48 PM
You may also want to check the seal around the door. On my first use the seal was open about 1/2" on the bottom of the door and a little on the side. I could see smoke escaping from it so I knew heat was as well. I contacted Bradley and they are sending a new door. Just something to double check.

You may have had a bent door. In general, for the first few smokes you will see smoke escaping until the magnetic seal becomes more flexible and better forms to the shape of the cabinet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)