• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

never smoked before

Started by teamlund, February 02, 2012, 10:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teamlund

hey guys, new to the world of smoking! I just ordered a Bradley digital smoker from cabelas and cant wait for it to show up! I have always wanted to get a smoker but always put it off. Well I took the dive! I am an avid fisherman and hunter. Most of my smoking will be venison, salmon, whitebass, maybe some walleye and the occasional waterfowl....But 90% of the time it will be salmon, whitebass, and venison.

SO, I dont want to have to run to the store every time I fire up the smoker. Iwould rather keep some key items on hand at all times. What are some of the basics that every smoker has in his/her cupboard for fish and red meat? thanks for the help! The reviews for this forum and bradley smokers are amazing!

Fernslinger

Stock up on rubs/spices...differents pucks for the smoker...a good probe thermometer to stick in what you are smoking...vacuum sealer to store all the goodies you will make...frog mats for smoking small items/jerky...that should get you going :)

teamlund

Quote from: Fernslinger on February 02, 2012, 10:55:16 AM
Stock up on rubs/spices...differents pucks for the smoker...a good probe thermometer to stick in what you are smoking...vacuum sealer to store all the goodies you will make...frog mats for smoking small items/jerky...that should get you going :)

thanks fern! I have been told that you cant freeze smoked fish? any truth to this? Or can it be done?

mikecorn.1

Puck savers so you dint waste any of
Them. If you can I would suggest a PID for tight temp control. a maverick et732 is the latest one. Instant read thermometer like a thermapen (these occasionally are posted here when the company has a good deal on them. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Salmonsmoker

Welcome teamlund.
The statement of not being able to freeze smoked salmon is a false one. I smoke approx. 250# of salmon every year and it's all frozen after the smoking. The big important secret is to vacuum seal it before freezing. If not, it will freezer burn fairly quickly and you'll end up tossing it out. I date every package and will "lose" a few in the freezer and come across them a few years later. They're still as good as new. Helpful hint: after smoking your salmon and it's cooled, put it in the fridge covered for 24 hrs. before packing. All the flavors get a chance to meld and it makes a big difference.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

beefmann

welcome aboard, the above  have you  started with puck savers, pid, maverick et 732, my 2 cents  is a food saver sealer

OldHickory

Salmonsmoker has given you good advice with lots of experience.  The other stuff, yes, but IMHO the puck savers are a waste of money, I just turn the smoke gen off (BDS ) when I am through smoking.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

ghost9mm

Hello and welcome to a really great forum...you have received some good information...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

TedEbear

Quote from: OldHickory on February 02, 2012, 03:53:24 PMIMHO the puck savers are a waste of money,

I made my own for free from some scrap pipe laying around at work.  They don't have to be solid, just thick sides.  Bevel the edges so they don't hang up on anything.  Works great and the price was right.

Salmonsmoker

Great idea on making your own pucks. If you can make them for free they're well worth the money. ;D You can make them out of most anything as long as they're the right size. Mine are too heavy with all three, so I will be drilling them out to lighten them. I've been using the two pucks followed by a single bisquette deal and with all the rain we've been having the last bisquette swelled up so much it jammed in the smoke generator.

teamlund

great info guys! Keep it coming!

I will be ordering a vaccuum sealer soon.....thats for sure!

what are these puck savers for? i have seen pics of them but just wondering what purpose they serve? maybe I am just missing something that is incredibly simple?

Salmonsmoker

The pucks allow the advance of the bisquettes so that the last bisquette will get pushed off of the burner when it's 20 min. is done. That way you don't end up with 2 fresh biscuits in the slide and the other one burnt to ash. The second in line usually gets partially burned.

teamlund

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on February 03, 2012, 10:33:01 AM
The pucks allow the advance of the bisquettes so that the last bisquette will get pushed off of the burner when it's 20 min. is done. That way you don't end up with 2 fresh biscuits in the slide and the other one burnt to ash. The second in line usually get partially burned.

ok thanks... My uncle is a millwright so I am sure he can make something up for me....

teamlund

my new digital bradley smoker showed up today! All i received so far from cableas is the smoker.. No biscuits yet or outdoor cover.

I am completely lost when it comes to smoking but between this site, other internet info, and the literature I received with the unit I should be fine.

The box that the smoker came is was beat to PISS! but everything internally seems fine, so far.....I took pics in case I have issues. My virst smoke will probably be next week when I am on 3rd shift and it will either be salmon or I will do something with some venison tenderloin that I have....