• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking in the Winter.

Started by Pike227, February 09, 2012, 05:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pike227

What type of experience do you guys have smoking with colder outside temperatures?  Yesterday I did a 12 lb batch of venison sticks with an older Bradley.  Outdoor temps were between 22 and 15 with little or no wind.  For 3 hours and the unit running wide open and damper 1/2 closed, the smoker never went above 150 degrees with the heating element glowing red the whole time.  Used a shorter heavy extension cord so this is not the problem.  The smoke generator worked fine and 150 degrees is where I wanted it but I had to finish the sticks off in the oven. 

Rad Rich

12 pounds that's alot of sticks. I would like your recepie. I live in Chicago land and smoke in the winter all the time with no problems. Do you ever stick a digital thermometer under your lowest rack?  I was smoking last weekend and the door was at like 180 and the digital read 235.  The one mod I did make to my smoker was to put it inside a suncast utility cabinet. It was 50 bucks at Kmart. Just big enough for the smoker to fit inside. Had to cur small holes in the back for the cords to come out. Put a little chimney top over the vent. Works as a great little insulater. I will try to find an old post on this site with pictures. Still want that recepie I have never done sticks or jerky and I want to.
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

Rad Rich

I don't know how to post a link but if you search "brand new and smoking" or suncast utility cabinet you will find pictures of my cabinet.  I think it helps alot in the colder months and it keeps it covered.

Rad Rich

JZ

Take a look at this http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=25568.0. It sure worked well on my DBS. I have not tried it on my OBS.

I also have an older OBS and noticed there is quite a weight difference between the new DBS and the older OBS. This may be more insulation or more weight for thermal mass reasons - I don't know. Having said that, the blankie may not work as well on the OBS as the DBS. But is cheap to make and worth a try.

Also preheating and adding a brick inside the smoker help it to recover quicker after opening the door. Like Rad Rich said don't rely on the door mounted thermometer. The temps at the back of the smoker are much higher and higher again at the lower back closer to the heating element.

Pike227

I have definately noticed that sticks and summer sausage hanging closer to the back gets dried out a bit because of the heating element blasting away.  I actually took a small stainless sheet and made a deflector that I set towards the back on the bottom V-plate.  OK guys, being new to the site, what is DSB and OSB.

As for recepies, I am new to smoking but I can tell you to check out www.curleyssausagekitchen.com and order a kit for Cody's Snack Sticks.  They are great. But you will need a vertical stuffer to stuff the 21mm collagen casings.  I use to have venison sticks made at a shop in town but the old guy is no longer with us.  Lots of places make them but I am not about to pay $6 to $7 per pound.  With 40% pork I can make them for about $2.50 and they are as good if not better than most.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Pike227 on February 09, 2012, 03:22:15 PM
I have definately noticed that sticks and summer sausage hanging closer to the back gets dried out a bit because of the heating element blasting away.  I actually took a small stainless sheet and made a deflector that I set towards the back on the bottom V-plate.  OK guys, being new to the site, what is DSB and OSB.

As for recepies, I am new to smoking but I can tell you to check out www.curleyssausagekitchen.com and order a kit for Cody's Snack Sticks.  They are great. But you will need a vertical stuffer to stuff the 21mm collagen casings.  I use to have venison sticks made at a shop in town but the old guy is no longer with us.  Lots of places make them but I am not about to pay $6 to $7 per pound.  With 40% pork I can make them for about $2.50 and they are as good if not better than most.
Digital Bradley smoker
Original Bradley smoker
Acronyms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

devo

QuoteOK guys, being new to the site, what is DSB and OSB

Its DBS & OBS and that stands for Digital Bradley Smoker & Original Bradley Smoker I believe

watchdog56

I live in Minnesota and smoke in the winter all the time. One thing I have found out is that I keep my vent open all the time no matter what I am smoking. You want to get that moisture out as fast as possible. Moist air + cool air.  I have added a second element recently and that really helps with recovering temps. It usually take about 5-6 hours for sticks and up to 10 hours for summer sausage or you can give them a hot water bath at 160 until IT of meat gets between 152-155. Then I usually take them out of the smoker after 3 hours of smoke and water bath them. Saves  a lot of time and keeps sausage plump unless you like the dried look.

crabbyoldbugger

I cold smoke in the winter, even though I have a cold smoke adapter I had a problem with condensation from the vent dripping.  So made an adapter that threads to the vent screw to mount a 4"  disposable pie plate 1" below the vent.  Hated spots on my smoked cheese, and beside I now recover the liquid smoke.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: crabbyoldbugger on February 19, 2012, 08:15:50 PM
I cold smoke in the winter, even though I have a cold smoke adapter I had a problem with condensation from the vent dripping.  So made an adapter that threads to the vent screw to mount a 4"  disposable pie plate 1" below the vent.  Hated spots on my smoked cheese, and beside I now recover the liquid smoke.
Nice solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

cathouse willy

wrap the smoker in a blanket made of aluminum insulation. I doesn't get that cold here but i have no trouble reaching 250f on even the coldest days.