• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temperature Issues with last 2 Smokes

Started by Gilley7997, February 11, 2012, 03:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilley7997

You all have been great with helping me get started using this fun new toy.  I have a question looking for some feedback from those with experience with the 4 Rack DBS.

I have had trouble getting the temperatures to 220 degrees the last 2 smokes.  It just doesn't seem to want to get there.  Today I was just trying to do a batch of Jerky and 4 hours of running and it still won't climb past 220, even with the oven temp set to 240.

I thought maybe due to cold temperatures or wind it was having issues, so I pulled it into the garage and I still can't hit 220.

Is this a sign that the heating element may be faulty, or is there anything else.  I am running on an extension cord, how much does that make a difference?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ambient Temps today are about 26F today, but like I said pulled it into the garage and still not getting there.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks in Advance.

devo

If you have a portable temp probe stick it in the smoker to see if it reads the same as the DBS. My DBS is out by about 30*F. Just curious as to why you would be taking your jerky to that hi of a temp? Seems way to high for jerky. But back to your temp problem, bradleys don't show the temp very well and I don;t think your element is going if you are getting over 120*F. 

mikecorn.1

Could be all the moisture also keeping the temps down. As stated above by Devi, you need an independent thermometer to check the temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

KyNola

I have had a BDS 4 rack since 2007 and have never had a problem getting the temp to 220 and above.  Several things come to mind. 1. Extension cord. 2. Vent wide open?  If not, open it. 3. Large wet load of jerky. 4. Most importantly, if you are relying on the temp readout from the BDS you are more than likely getting false temp readouts, as in 30 degrees false when you first begin the smoking process.

Elements don't just get weak and eventually peter out.  They either work or they are dead.

TedEbear

Quote from: Gilley7997 on February 11, 2012, 03:51:35 PMI am running on an extension cord, how much does that make a difference?

The Bradley doesn't like to run on an extension cord.  I'm not sure if it warns against that in the owner's manual or not but other users have had low temp problems because of this.  Just use whatever cords came with the smoker and make sure they are all tightly plugged in at each connection point.