pid probe routing and location

Started by DocZ, February 12, 2012, 10:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocZ

Sorry to start this thread here if not appropriate, but could find answer scouting around the forum. I just got the Auber single probe with standard probe (dangle option). The directions suggest dropping it through the top vent. I would think that routing it through the bisquit feeder hole (like I do with the Maverick 732 leads) would be a better choice as long as I avoid the heater elements and bisquit burner pad. finding the best height in the box is the next queston. I tend to do nearly full loads (6-12 racks). What's the concensus for this smoking scenario--curious minds wonder :-\

KyNola

Just go through the door.  Open the door, place your probe where you want it and close the door on the wire.  The door will seal nicely around it and you will not lose any smoke or if you do it will be absolutely minimal.

Sailor

Doc, it depends on what I am smoking.  If I am doing sticks I hang the probe thru the vent and about 1 inch below the hanger.  If I am doing stuff in a rack then I run the probe thru the door (thin wire no harm and little leakage) and put it below the lowest rack.  When you have racks in I would think you want to control the temp at the bottom so it don't get to hot.  Racks that are loaded will block heat going to the top and if you have the probe at the top the bottom will be way over 20 degrees hotter than the top.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

mikecorn.1

I also do both ways. Top vent or the door. I never have smoke loss with the door method. Plus if you need to rotate racks, the wire will not in the
Way when pulling them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Sam3

Quote from: Sailor on February 12, 2012, 11:06:14 AM
Doc, it depends on what I am smoking.  If I am doing sticks I hang the probe thru the vent and about 1 inch below the hanger.  If I am doing stuff in a rack then I run the probe thru the door (thin wire no harm and little leakage) and put it below the lowest rack.  When you have racks in I would think you want to control the temp at the bottom so it don't get to hot.  Racks that are loaded will block heat going to the top and if you have the probe at the top the bottom will be way over 20 degrees hotter than the top.

Sailor, how do you keep the probe in the lower location? Alligator clip? Potato?
Especially when you have to rotate.

mikecorn.1

I use a paper clip or the clip tat the
Maverick brought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Sailor

Quote from: Sam3 on February 14, 2012, 03:53:18 AM
Quote from: Sailor on February 12, 2012, 11:06:14 AM

Sailor, how do you keep the probe in the lower location? Alligator clip? Potato?
Especially when you have to rotate.
I just hang the probe thru the basket.  I make sure it is away from any meat drippings (meat dripping into the probe BAD).  I pull the probe out and rotate and put the probe back.  If I am using frog mats I slip it thru a small square.  Works for me.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

viper125

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.