What is this?

Started by Smokeater, January 26, 2006, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeater

I just recieved my Bradley Smoker via the UPS truck today.

I cannot believe how SMALL it is!!!! The pictures I saw on the internet sites looked a LOT bigger than what I got. WHAT GIVES?

I read somewhere on THIS SITE that I could smoke 35 to 40 POUNDS of meat in the smoker. A deer limb weighs maybe 1/3 that and there is NO WAY it would fit inside this thing much less 2 more. I also smoke back ribs which weigh about 3 pounds each. How in the hell do I put 10 plus racks in this thing????????????????????

This forum gave me the incentive to buy this unit over others I was looking at. Nice site & recipes but are you guys really happy with the small size of this unit? Do you buy more than one?

Maybe I will try it anyway. But will they accept a return on a used box?

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY DISAPPOINTED!

Somebody tell me I did not make a mistake in buying the bradley!!!!!!

Michael Housh

I am fairly new to the Bradley, but I am very impressed with the quality of the unit. I have already smoked 20 lbs of meat at once. That will probably be the most I will need to cook at one time but the flavor and ease of use are the best I have had. The flavor alone is enough to prove it's worth.

nsxbill

smokeeater.  I have two of the original Bradleys.  Never done anywhere close to 30#.  If you have extra shelves, you can have one shelf indent down with another on top going the other direction.  I have a slick little rack that one of the members makes and have hung my ribs from hooks inside.  I have never done more than 15# at once.  Maybe the new digital will handle more, but the older original only has 4 slots for racks and you can double the capacity doing jerkey and the like with the extra racks.

If you are unhappy with the size, I would just return it.  You won't be happy if you have expectations of doing that much meat at once. 

I am going to buy a big smoker for big smokes, but it will be a charcoal model.  I know I won't like it as much as the Bradley, but the capacity is an advantage.  http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=226  I want the newer roling Caldera, but beacoups more money than the Bradley.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

car54

I did about 30 pounds of pork butt once. It was tight and workable. 99% of the time the size does not bother me.
The Bradley is a very nice home unit.

Happy smoking, Brad

Oldman

QuoteI just recieved my Bradley Smoker via the UPS truck today.

I cannot believe how SMALL it is!!!!

From the Bradley Website:
4 rack unit
QuoteWeight: 42.5 lbs
Dimensions: 34" H x 20" W x 18" D
Construction - Exterior : Powder Epoxy Steel, Interior: Aluminum
Internal Cooking Vol : 2288 cu in
Internal Heater: 500 watt cooking element / 125 watt smoking element
Power: - 120 V 50 - 60 Hz , - 5.5 Amps (240 Volt Model TBA)
ETL & CE Listed
Max Temperature: Controllable up to 320F.
Min Temp: subject to ambient
Digital Controls : Temperature, Time, Smoke
Adjustable racks: 4
Warranty: 12 months
User Guide
Recipe Booklet
Comes with Rectangular Tray & Drip Bowl
Bisquettes not included

6 rack unit
QuoteWeight: 62.5 lbs
Dimensions: 42" H x 20" W x 18" D
Construction - Exterior: Powder Epoxy Steel, Interior: Aluminum
Internal Cooking Vol: 3432 cu in
Internal Heater: 500 watt cooking element / 125 watt smoking element
Power: - 120 V 50 - 60 Hz , - 5.5 Amps (240 Volt TBA)
ETL & CE Listed
Max Temperature: Controllable up to 320F.
Min Temp: subject to ambient
Digital Controls : Temperature, Time, Smoke
Adjustable racks: 6
Warranty: 12 months
User Guide
Recipe Booklet
Comes with Rectangular Tray & Drip Bowl
Bisquettes not included

The above information is located under "Products."

Quotebut are you guys really happy with the small size of this unit?

Small is only relevant to the user, and yes I'm very happy with the unit.

I agree with Bill:
QuoteIf you are unhappy with the size, I would just return it.  You won't be happy if you have expectations of doing that much meat at once. 

I would suggest for your needs a Cookshack Model FEC100. Cost is around $2,900.00 U.S.D.

Good Luck,
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

The original post is dated 27/01/06, sorry 01/27/06 to those in the US, and I am sure we replied to it at the time. However, only the original post still seems to be there and the original replies lost, doesn't appear to have been edited or bumped but the "huh" face is post change of forums.

The case of the reappearing post......... ?? :o
Manxman

Oldman

QuoteThe case of the reappearing post......... ??

Strange indeed.

Smokeater
Date Registered:  January 26, 2006, 06:08:39 pm
Last Active:  January 26, 2006, 06:13:58 pm

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

tomcrzn

Looked at Cookshack and Masterbuilt for appprox. $1,000. Masterbuild looked great. These were a consideration because we thought the Bradley was too small also. Found an inflatable boat shop that had two BS smokers that the owner had bought quite a while ago. He was willing to deal to get rid of them for floor space. Offered him $500 for both and he counter offered at $550.00 Now we have twice the smoking area for a fraction of the Cookshack and MB price.

The only thing I can see we need more space for is ribs.  I tend to smoke for large groups at times. Two BS smokers will work wonderfully.

Currently smoking two shoulders and one brisket in one bradley. Ribs later in the other.

manxman

Welcome to the forum tomcrzn, looks like you get a great deal there.   ;D

Let us know how you get on with them!
Manxman

asa

This discussion causes me to ask a question I've had since first using my BS. How do others do racks of, say, baby backs? Do you put two to a rack lengthwise (some will be a little too long & may need to be crammed in) or do you do as I did - cut each one in half and put three halves on each tray. (Smokeater, if you are still with us - the latter technique would give you space for 12 racks of ribs if using 8 racks the way recommended, with 4 inverted and on top of each of the 4 in their usual places). Or are there vertical holders that will take 4 racks on each level (haven't measured to see if this would work - just interested in what others have found)? 
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Smokin Joe

I use a standard rib grilling rack you can get at any hardware store that allows me to do 4 racks per tray, standing on their sides.

Works perfectly every time!
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

asa

Thanks Joe. With the ribs on their sides, do you find they take up only one shelf space, or perhaps 1 1/2 (ie., with the one above inverted), or do you leave the shelf above out entirely?

Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
     And

Smokin Joe

Hi Asa...I'm usually able to get 3 of the 4 racks in there without any problem whatsoever.  On occasion I will stick in all 4 racks, but depending on the size of the ribs, it can be a tight fit.
Joe Johnson
Founding Partner
Caroline's Rub - Dry Rubs, Smoked Salt, and Texas Chili Seasoning

Be sure to sign up for our Smoke and Spice Newsletter!

asa

Thanks Joe. I'll give that a try.
   Art
     And