puter help

Started by boxertrio, January 27, 2006, 02:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxertrio

I have two 2.4 phones, and apparently they are messing with my wireless router.  I am not a computer guy, but have been told that the phones are the reason for my connection stalling because the freq is the same for the net connection and my phones.  Question being.....how do I change the channel on my router,  I was told to put my router on channel 11 and my phone on channel 1.  Am I being told correctly?  Again I am not computer literate so this is all greek to me.  My advice came from an acoustic guitar forum,  but those guys and gals are experts on everythig[:D] so I need a second opinion and some instruction.  Thanks

Glenn

White smoke good...Black smoke bad!!
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

IKnowWood

Glenn

They are correct in the interference thing.  Those 2.4 Ghz phones will interrupt with the wireless signal.  But they will only interrupt when the phone is in use, where the base station is talking to the remotes or remote to remote.  

Changing channels will reduce the level of interference but will not get rid of it entirely.  As with the phones as well as default of the router, they cycle channels to find the best one.  To change the router, you will need to look at the manual for it.  for example, some Linksys routers have a wep page where in the general settings you can set which channel to use.  And make sure to look to fix it at a channel and to unselect automatic channel select or channel optimization.

Again, this many times will not reduce it enough.  What some of my friends have done is to go out and buy the 5.4 Ghz phones.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

BigSmoker

Wow the things you can learn here.  I have wireless at home and get cut off even when the phones aren't in use.  At 1st I thought someone outside my family was using my wireless as well but then why would it cut me off from the internet as they would just be joining the network.  This happens even when you aren't on the phone though. Anyone else have another idea cause it is very annoying?

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Phone Guy

You can change the channel in your wireless router by going into configuration and select a different channel. If purchasing a new cordless phone get the 5.8 Ghz model. Either of these options should solve your trouble. If you have a neighbor's cordless interfering, you'll have to reconfigure your router.

boxertrio

Thanks guys, I will try to change my router(it has a web page to change the settings)and see if that helps.  New phones may be the best option, however I hope to avoid that as we have 6 phones that use one base (the others just plug in for power) and they were quite expensive.

Glenn

White smoke good...Black smoke bad!!
--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

Habanero Smoker

One other thought. If you have a neighbor how is on a wireless connection, their wireless connection could also cause this type of interference, if their channel setting is the same or close to your setting. As others have stated when you find out how to reset your channel (each router has a different way to access the configuration) set it to a channel farthest away from the channel that is set on the device which is causing the interference.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

IKnowWood

Yes, depending how close your neighbbors are you can have conflicts with their networks as well as their remote phones.   Those remotes have a range of about 50 to 75 feet so easily can get a conflict.  And depending on the wireless hardware you can also have that issue.

also check the location of your router so you will not have a serious magnetic field in the way of where you want to use it needs to go thru.  A UPS and TV and som other devices could make a strong enough fields to disrupt your signal.

once you work out the phone and discover it might be ranging, consider repeater routhers.  I use AirPort Express modules to increase range and do some creative connecting for printing and sound.

Good luck
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes