• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Maverick 732 problems again!

Started by viper125, February 21, 2012, 04:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedEbear

I did a little Google searching and found that Permatex high temp red RTV is supposedly food safe for indirect use, according to an email from the company. I might try that unless someone can name a better product.

Permatex RTV Discussion

Permatex F81160 Hi-Temp Red RTV Silicone

squirtthecat

I've got a high temp food grade Red RTV sealant at home.  Let me look at the label tonight to see where it came from.   I remember that it wasn't inexpensive..

mikecorn.1

Looks like this one is ok to use. According to the company's response to the member's email to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

SnellySmokesEm

I'm on my second set of probes as well.  I got mine as soon as they came out along with two other friends and they are having the same problems....  I dont trust my maverick at all and usually have the old maverick backing it up and then use my analog for a triple check on stuff like chicken and pork.  The 3 of them never read the same.  I need to bite the bullet and get a therma pen.  Should have gotten in on that open box deal.  :(
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

teesquare

The RTV that I use is made by Perma-Tex also. I think I got it at Lowe's a couple of years ago.....You just want to read the fine print on the back of the package for applicable uses to be "food safe" when cured.

It does not take much - And I like to push it down into the probe tubing as much as a I can when applying.

Again - we are talking about a tiny amount. But it really has helped me.

Just one further note: Be absolutely certain that your probes are dry, dry, dry...... You may even want to place them in the oven at a low temp ( 200F?) for an hour or so - and let them cool slowly, to insure you are not trapping any moisture inside the probe body.

Best!

T

viper125

Well  kynola,teesquare I really never thought about humidity. Which good very well be what's going on. At least to me it seems like a possibility. I've pulled my hair out trying to figure this out. And believe me I can't afford to lose any more hair. Lol. Where do you buy a food safe RTV?
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Salmonsmoker

It's available in most auto parts stores and big box places like Lowes or HD.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

TedEbear

Quote from: viper125 on February 22, 2012, 07:34:21 AMWhere do you buy a food safe RTV?

Did you click on the Amazon link I posted above?

viper125

Quote from: TedEbear on February 22, 2012, 09:54:54 AM
Quote from: viper125 on February 22, 2012, 07:34:21 AMWhere do you buy a food safe RTV?

Did you click on the Amazon link I posted above?
Sorry TedEbear must have read right over it.  But I went back and read it thanks. I have found it here in town at auto zone for 6.99 also Walmart carry's it but not sure of price.
Inside setup.

viper125

Well after thinking what was said about the humidity in a smoker I figured id see if its recoverable.
Ok well seeing the probe was bad any way I thought I'd go a little farther this time. Also its in the warranty if you mess with the probe it voids the warranty. But I don't think this would.I was baking some potato's 3 to be exact. I put them on the top shelf of the oven. Put my probes into the potato from the bottom so the opening to the fittings was downward. Set it to bake at 275 degrees and left them to watch TV. I had the monitor and kept looking at it. First of all the wife's often gets way hotter then it says,as i have suspected all along. The probes started heating up. The one said 260 and the other 70 when I put them in. after awhile the bad on was at 310 and the good one was at 170. kept going till the bad one started to drop a degree or so from over 300. Pretty soon it started going down. Till they pretty much evened out. Pulled out and all is fine now. So I believe what was said earlier about the smoker and its humidity. Will now apply silicon and have sent a letter to maverick suggesting they do the same with them.
Inside setup.

mikecorn.1

Good info. Thanks.

Mike

viper125

Wife picked up the red at Walmart for around 4.00 I did about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inches long. Half on probe and 1/2 on wire. Just so I know its waterproof at the joint. Will see if this is any better. By the way it's working fine now!
Inside setup.

Tiny Tim

If any of you do automotive or other light electrical system work, you might try a piece of Heat Shrink tubing (NAPA part number 784661 for the red tubing for 18-20 ga wire, believe the blue for 14-16 ga is p/n 784662, but not sure)...just slide a piece on and heat it up to seal it.

watchdog56

Don't know if they are the same but I have an ET73 and have replaced the probes about 2 years ago. (My fault got the cable wet) but after that have not had a problem. Wonder if those would work?

mikecorn.1

The et73 I have reads 12' off on the
Food side, but it's something internal. Not the probes.

Mike