• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Good news and Bad news!!!!

Started by viper125, February 23, 2012, 04:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Well the good news is the maverick probes are not ruined when they quit. At least not all the time. Mine are working fine since drying them. I also put the high heat silicon on and see if that helps.

Bad new is... I whipped up a batch of 10 point hot dogs. Glad I only done 2 lbs. They came out awful. Not his fault,mine. Looks like these fatted out also. Water never got over 168 but the dogs shrunk, fatted out and looked like dog turds. So they will become dog food now. The whole time I was bitching I should have made 10 lbs. there is a lot of washing to do for two lbs. And im kinda lazy. LOL Now I had this same problem with mikes kielbasa. Figure there fatted out too! The only thing i did different in 10 points dogs is use all beef 80/20 But figured since it called for  equal parts beef and pork 80/20 should be fine.

So heres a pic. Im open to hints and suggestions because this water bath is not going to beat me.
Here is my dog turds!After washing a thick orange grease off them.

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

mikecorn.1

That's freaking hilarious. "dog turds". Btw. They sure so look like turds. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Salmonsmoker

Dip 'em in some chocolate. A meat Babe Ruth. ;D
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Keymaster

Im thinking it may be that you under packed the casings, maybe a tad to much fat and length of heat in the stew pot. Some people I have read, grind up a little quaker oats to absorbe the fat and add filler and also acts as a binder. Not sure what the oats to meat ratio would be but may be worth looking into. Thanks for sharing!!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on February 23, 2012, 06:11:26 PM
Dip 'em in some chocolate. A meat Babe Ruth. ;D
:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

NePaSmoKer

Thems not a fat-out

Casings were to loose.

Mr Walleye

When I use the hot water bath I try to keep it at 160 degrees and no higher. My experience with temps above that has started to render the fat, not completely but the higher temps would cause it.

If they have cooled and bloomed, did you taste them?

Did they taste like the fat was rendered out?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

viper125

Well They seemed packed tight. And a lot of fat rendered into the casings. I mean a lot! I didn't use a binder as the recipe has been successful for lots of people. No need to fix some thing not broken. 10 points recipes have never failed me. I know its some thing I did. So next time i'll try to get tighter. And also will keep water at or under 160 degrees. This is twice I tried poaching and twice I failed. Mybe I need to stick to smoking. Just want an original product type of hot dog. :'(  ::)
Inside setup.

Mr Walleye

You'll get it nailed down for sure Viper.

I've made lots of mistakes in the past too. You just log it in the old noodle and move on.  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

fishrman

Whoa Viper - you put those on a neighbor's lawn and he'll be cursing your dog for sure!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D  They do look either understuffed or the meat wasn't evenly ground and you got fat pockets or something.  Bear in mind I'm speaking from a vast reservoir of ignorance, so could be way off base . . .

viper125

Well the burger come ground. Then I run it thru a real small plate two more times. Putting in refrigerator in between for a hour each time. Then I emulsified it to a very smooth paste in a food processor. So I think the grind is ok.
Inside setup.

fishrman

Sounds like the grind wasn't to blame . . .

Habanero Smoker

Is it possible when you processed the meat with the processor, the meat got too warm? I briefly mention this in another post, but if you emulsify with a blade, and the meat hits a temperature of 60°F or higher; the fat will separate from the protein and the mixture is ruined. The fat will just render out while cooking.

Also I received a Rival 22-qt roaster for Christmas. Though I haven't used it for sausage, I did do a test run and found that the water does not heat up evenly. Temperatures measured near the bottom and sides were much higher then the center. I had to stir a few time to get the temperature to be even in all areas.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

Well tried to not over heat with processor but can't be positive. Wanted a nice smooth mix. Also used the maverick to measure water and just on top. So next time i'll process a little less and stir water . Thanks Hab. And Thank All! Any thing to help right now. lOL
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

If you have an instant read thermometer (a Thermapen is best), stop processing and take the temperature at different intervals. You will be surprised that when the meat hits 50°F, it still feels cool to the touch. After hitting 50°F, the temperature rises quickly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)