• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Sticky Beef Jerky

Started by JMX, February 24, 2012, 11:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMX

Awhile ago my brother brought home some jerky that he had bought off a guy that he use to work with. The guy would make his own jerky and sell it to coworkers. He called it "Sticky Icky Jerky." And it definately was sticky but tasted awesome. It was new and different and he could barely keep up with all the orders his coworkers were placing. He had a bunch of different flavors and they were all sticky. I'd say the best way to describe the coating would be like if you had honey BBQ chicken wings and your fingers would get sticky when eating them. How do you go about making that sticky/tacky, flavorful coating? Is it something added to the marinade that gives it that tackiness? Would you soak the jerky in the marinade once it finishes or would you marinate it again before you put it back on the dehydrator when there's about 20 minutes left before it finishes? Thanks

Consooger

I made a honey teriyaki jerky the other day and I didn't want it overpowering with the "salty soy sauce" taste so with about an hour and a half left as I was rotating the racks for the last time I took some honey and watered it down just a small bit and applied it onto the jerky and put it back into the smoker to finish. It turned out great and was exactly what I was looking for.
That should give you the finger licking sticky that you are asking about. Hope this helps.
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

JMX

Thanks for the replies! I'm gonna try the tips you guys provided since they're both about the same, putting the leftover marinade on it when there's 1 - 1 1/2 hours left. That venison jerky recipie looks good I want to try that one in the future.