Need some ideas....

Started by irish_smoker, February 20, 2012, 12:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_smoker

I organize a sort of father/son golf trip each summer and also take care of all the food for the dinner each of the 3 nights for all the guys.  In years past, I've had big 14oz NYStrips/Ribeyes the first night, burgers/brats the second, and pulled pork the last night (smoked and pulled weeks before and vacuum sealed) plus all the fixings each night.  Here's my problem, the past couple of years some of the burgers haven't gotten cooked thoroughly (the same guy was grilling them both years and has finally been relieved of his duties) and I am looking for something to take the place of burgers. 
I can easily bring my smoker with me and use it while on the trip or make something in advance and vacuum seal it.  We have 28 guys total and I collect $20 from each to feed them for the 3 nights (I use Sam's and Costco to my advantage).  I've thought about the chicken boulders or possibly a few briskets.....need something that won't require a whole lot of effort or babysitting as we'll be on the course most of the daylight hours.

Thanks!

mikecorn.1

How bout cold smoking some thick center cut pork chops and vacuum sealing them till your ready to grill them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

Sausage and peppers are easy to prepare, make ahead of time and to reheat.

Crosshatch Hot Dogs on Grilled Croissants, are a pain to prepare, but cook up in no time. I've served these the last two years and they are a big hit. I do make the cabbage salad, but a good coleslaw works just as well, or serve them like any other type of hot dog. For large groups I use New England hot dog buns.

I have made them up to 4 days in advance, and while grilling I brush them with the marinade. It is best to use long metal skewers, so you can put two hot dogs on a skewer. If you use bamboo skewers, they are a pain to use. The don't always go in straight, often coming out of the side of the hot dogs. So it take several attempts to thread them on those type of skewers.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

irish_smoker

I like the idea of the pork chops but the fact that someone had trouble cooking burgers all the way through, makes me a little concerned for the pork chops.  Plus, the grills at the course we stay/play are not the best in the world....some crappy gas grills that probably never get cleaned. 

I do like the idea of sausage/peppers/onions/beer though.  I could put a couple alum trays full into the smoker with some bacon dripping down over the top all afternoon, then just give the sausages a quick toss on the grill.....before we eat.

hal4uk

Why not try the same plan with a functional cook?
Sounds like your regular plan is pretty darn good!

Maybe the problem ain't the menu.  It's the grill and/or the cook.
Maybe check the grills are working properly before golfing (or call the club ahead and HINT).
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Habanero Smoker

When you get a chance you should check out the Crosshatch hot dogs. They are good, give them slight char, but be careful not to burn them on the grill.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

sounds like you  have a good game plan as it  stands,  I  would still go as planned

irish_smoker

QuoteMaybe the problem ain't the menu.  It's the grill and/or the cook.
Maybe check the grills are working properly before golfing (or call the club ahead and HINT).

I think you're on to something.  I do need to check with the course because I am pretty sure they have a large platform charcoal grill they use at the clubhouse, maybe they would let me use that in the evenings if I bring our own charcoal.

Thanks fellas.

viper125

Maybe some home made hot dogs, bbq ribs,Smoked chickens hey its all good!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

irish_smoker

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 21, 2012, 02:14:17 AM
When you get a chance you should check out the Crosshatch hot dogs. They are good, give them slight char, but be careful not to burn them on the grill.

I am defintely trying those at some point, they look fantastic   :)

Mani

If taking a grill/BBQ,  I always make Steak wrapped asparagus.

Green asparagus, say about 4 spears, wrapped in VERY thinly sliced and ,marinated rib eye steak...  Helps to tie them in Butchers string...

Goes down a treat!