1st GB Jerky in years

Started by nasels, March 02, 2012, 12:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nasels

I just finished my first batch on GB jerky in years. I dried it in my old harvest made dehydrator. The highest setting on the dehydrator is about 150*. I was hoping for that chewy but done type jerky. I ended up with the hard snatch your teeth out jerky. The edges are actually so sharp it will cut the roof of your mouth. However it is not dry and crumbly.

I watched the jerky close, rotated the trays and used the old bend and crack like a willow method. I could bend the jerky but due to the temp (warmth) of the jerky it never bent and cracked like a willow. I therefore got it too hard. It was in the dehydrator about 7 1/2 hrs.

I want it done because I read about bacteria etc but I would like that softer pulley jerky. Any hints?
Oh, I used the LEM Hickory kit with cure and added cayenne, crushed red pepper and garlic. The taste is great.

Flyboyandre

Start at a lower temp and gradually increase the heat as you go along. I typically let it sit around 100 for an hour before I start bringing it up gradually.
You don't want to go too high either as you're looking to stay away from cooking it.
A couple of other things to consider is the fact that it will always be at its softest while its warm out of the machine, hence why you need to find the right time to pull. You shouldnt worry too much about bacterias with beef if you're up in the temp range you played in.
I always cut the strips against the grain as well, which helps as you put your teeth into them.
Long story short, play with gradual temperatures and don't overdry.

nasels

Made a second batch --- dehydrated about an hour less. Much better :)

rsherman24

When I make ground jerky in the dehydrator, I put them in at the highest setting (155 i think) for about 4-5 hours.  I have 6 trays for the Harvest dehydrator, so I rotate the trays every 40-45 minutes.  Seems to provide a perfect texture for me