• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

DONE! but Question on 500w mod

Started by mikecorn.1, March 03, 2012, 05:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecorn.1

Sorry for the pic quality. Its from my phone.  ;D

So I installed my second element. The new one is glowing like fresh lava out of a volcano. The original is
Glowing but not as intense. Its three years old and has many smokes (hours) on it. anybody else experience this? Is this normal?  ???
I only had time to install it and test to make sure it all came back on. Got
Word today that I have to work tomorrow so no PID auto tune till sometime in the week. I connected everything up as per Mr. Walley (Mike) thread. I  used high temp 326F / 200c 14awg wire.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

JZ

Way to go Mike and I read someone else had the same experience - I think it was Mr Walleye but not sure. Not to worry it is all good.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: JZ on March 03, 2012, 06:46:20 PM
Way to go Mike and I read someone else had the same experience - I think it was Mr Walleye but not sure. Not to worry it is all good.
Yep. It was in his instructions. You know. The ones we didn't  read thoroughly.    Lol.

Mike

JZ

I did read it thoroughly - at least 5 or 6 times. I just don't seem to take it all in as well as I used to ---- but I could be wrong because my memory is not as good as it used to be - I think.   :) :) :) :) :)

viper125

Good deal mike. Be sure to auto tune I tried with out and it was a real pain.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

fishrman

Mike - did the upgrade a few weeks ago and experienced the same thing.  I don't know what it really means, but it does not seem to effect the performance.  I'm seeing much faster preheats and recovery times as well as the ability to achieve higher temps when it is cold out. 

Habanero Smoker

When I installed mine, I used two new elements, and my outcome was the same as yours. The front glows brighter than the rear.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Thanks for the info guys.

Mike

mikecorn.1

Thanks for the info guys. Quick thought/observation. I used 14awg 326F rated high temp wire to the new element. The existing wire was way smaller gauge (to original element). Well you guys know, you did the mod  Do y'all think that this is restricting the current flow to that element.

Mike

Keymaster

It would be interesting to know the Temp difference between the two if anyone had a laser thermometer.

watchdog56

I did the upgrade also and mine is the same. Front glows more but it seems to be working fine.

Mr Walleye

Mike

Here's my 2 cents.
I don't think it has anything to do with the larger wiring in the 2nd element. The original wiring I believe to be 16 gauge which technically is adequate for the 500 watt element.

Just a guess here but I think there is a few things at play. One thing is the application of heat and smoke on the sheath of the element probably has something to do with it. In addition I wouldn't be surprised if the blend of metals used in construction the sheath of the element may be different based on various suppliers.

Just for fun this morning I fired mine up and took the temps of the elements. With my Laser Thermometer it would error out if I was less than 2 feet from either element. If I held it about 3 feet away I got readings around 600 degrees on both elements, no differences.

I took this first photo below showing the intensity of the elements this morning. You'll notice there is much less difference in brightness now between the elements than there was when I originally did this. I post my original picture of the difference below for comparison.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

TedEbear

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on March 04, 2012, 05:59:12 AMThe existing wire was way smaller gauge (to original element). Well you guys know, you did the mod  Do y'all think that this is restricting the current flow to that element.

For my second element I just ran a couple of short wires to connect it to the first one.  The original wire goes out the back for both.  On mine the element in front glows brighter even though they share the same main wire.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: TedEbear on March 04, 2012, 10:52:48 AM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on March 04, 2012, 05:59:12 AMThe existing wire was way smaller gauge (to original element). Well you guys know, you did the mod  Do y'all think that this is restricting the current flow to that element.

For my second element I just ran a couple of short wires to connect it to the first one.  The original wire goes out the back for both.  On mine the element in front glows brighter even though they share the same main wire.
Thanks for the feedback. 8)

Mike

Habanero Smoker

I haven't check mine in a while, so I'll have to take another look. For mine I got both elements at the same time form the same retailer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)