• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I'm Done

Started by JZ, March 05, 2012, 04:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

With the mods - at least I think I am.

The old OBS now has dual elements, a fan, an Auber PID, extra racks and a Snuggie. Just so you know it really happened here's the proof.

Not sure if the dual elements show up but you can see the extra rack supports and the fan.

Here is the back showing the fan and the Snuggie.

I ran what I thought was autotune on the PID but I must have missed something because the display was not flashing. The temps stayed within 1* either side of the set temp so I will leave it for now. My pet rock was apparently not needed for the test run.

One thing I noted was the outside edges of the door and the front edges of the cabinet got very hot. So hot that I could not keep my hand on them. So I am guessing that there is no insulation in those areas and therefore a lot of heat loss. Even the outside of the Snuggie was very warm to the touch. My DBS is much cooler to the touch with the Snuggie in place and I am guessing it has better insulation.

Gonna have to give the new setup a run. I know I am gonna love the PID especially for sausages and salmon.

Keymaster

Looks really good and nice clean job!!!

ghost9mm

What Key said...really a nice job....couple of atta boys too...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

josbocc

JZ,

Nice work, very clean.  Hope to hear that all of your efforts meet your expectations. 

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

mikecorn.1

Nice work!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

beefmann

JZ

Thanks Guys - but not sure this is what I was hoping for. I did some sausages and found that even with the fan and rotating the racks, some of the sausage was cooked more than others. Will keep you posted if I find a solution.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: JZ on March 07, 2012, 06:44:55 PM
Thanks Guys - but not sure this is what I was hoping for. I did some sausages and found that even with the fan and rotating the racks, some of the sausage was cooked more than others. Will keep you posted if I find a solution.
Same issue with me when I did some stix.

Mike

rigstar

QuoteThanks Guys - but not sure this is what I was hoping for. I did some sausages and found that even with the fan and rotating the racks, some of the sausage was cooked more than others. Will keep you posted if I find a solution.

just curious do you have the dual fan mod on the inside that i have seen talked
about on here, or the single?
if just the single fan on the inside of the motor, would a double fan on the
inside help with heat distribution, but would it push to much smoke out the fent?
thoughts?
either your in, or your in the f***ing way

mikecorn.1

Quote from: rigstar on March 08, 2012, 09:09:30 AM
QuoteThanks Guys - but not sure this is what I was hoping for. I did some sausages and found that even with the fan and rotating the racks, some of the sausage was cooked more than others. Will keep you posted if I find a solution.

just curious do you have the dual fan mod on the inside that i have seen talked
about on here, or the single?
if just the single fan on the inside of the motor, would a double fan on the
inside help with heat distribution, but would it push to much smoke out the fent?
thoughts?
I have a single fan mounted in the back center, right above the v tray. The fan is pushing air towards the door. If I do add another I will probably get the exhaust fan motor from Lowes and orders blade from elsewhere.

Mike

viper125

I use a 4 inch plastic for my smoke stack to the chimney. Been thinking of buying a vent fan for a bathroom or kitchen and mounting in smoke stack. Then adding a rheostat  to control speed.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

JZ

I just have the single fan mod. Not sure if 2 fans would do the trick or not and if I did install another fan I would either;

1) use the same motor and put a larger blade on to see if that solves the issue - but this would mean giving up the bottom rack since the fan would hit it. That's ok though because I added extra shelf brackets, or

2) put a second fan in. But that would mean moving the one I already installed and then punching another hole through the box to install the second one. I am kinda reluctant to do that since I will then have 3 holes through the back of the smoker.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: JZ on March 08, 2012, 12:04:25 PM
I just have the single fan mod. Not sure if 2 fans would do the trick or not and if I did install another fan I would either;

1) use the same motor and put a larger blade on to see if that solves the issue - but this would mean giving up the bottom rack since the fan would hit it. That's ok though because I added extra shelf brackets, or

2) put a second fan in. But that would mean moving the one I already installed and then punching another hole through the box to install the second one. I am kinda reluctant to do that since I will then have 3 holes through the back of the smoker.
I can't add a bigger blade cause it will hit the v-tray. Wonder mounting one towards the front at the same level as the other would make a difference. ???

Mike

JZ

Oh crap - I didn't think about the vpan. Back to the drawing board.

rigstar

sorry JZ i didn't mean a complete other fan, i meant put 2 fans on the same shaft

i finally found the thread i was looking, i knew i had seen it somewhere
it was posted by Docz here
forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=27150.msg325330#msg325330

and a pic of it running
forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=27005.0

i wonder how he likes it and if it would cures(d) the problem?
either your in, or your in the f***ing way