• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Auto tuning with 500w mod help

Started by mikecorn.1, March 07, 2012, 05:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecorn.1

I know how to set up the Autotune on my PID. Problem I have is that I set up PID for 225 and while autotune is running, it climbed all the
Way to 239F. I shut it down cause I got worried I was gonna climb to high and blow the safety sensor that is in the DBS4. Is this normal? Should I just let it do it's thing?  I went ahead and checked to make sure I did set it up for 225. Im gonna let it cool down and try tomorrow. Any feedback is always appreciated. Thanks
MIKE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

GusRobin

When you set your oven at 225, it runs until it reaches that temp and then shuts off. Meanwhile the element is hot and the temp rises past 225 (could be into the 230's) It stays off until the temp gets down to 225 then starts up again. Meanwhile the temp could drop to the 215 level before starting to heat up. The autotune runs your element the same way so it learns the heat time on your set up. It ends up so it cycles your element at about 219 so it slowing ramps up to 225. By doing this it can cycle on and off such that the temp swing is lowered to about 2-3 degrees of your set point.
Long story short,yes what you saw is normal.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

gus has you pointed in the right  direction, it  could take 30 minutes to auto tune, just let the pit tune itself and go from there

mikecorn.1

Last time I ran it it tool right at an hour. After the fan mod. I kept watching this time and it climbed all the way to 257 before starting to drop.
Man this thing runs like is on steroids :). Took 7 minutes flat to get to 225. Temp outside is a breezy 71. Thanks for the explanation. Makes since. Watching as I type. It's doing it's thing.

Mike

mikecorn.1

Done! Took right at 40 min. Thanks again for the info. :) :)  just realized how well insulated the DBS is. Was barely warm to the touch even on the
Back.

Mike