• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Planning a purchase..

Started by larryk, March 12, 2012, 09:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryk

My neighbor brought me over some smoked ribs last week. I've been trying to figure out which one to buy since.

I'm pretty much settled on a Bradley. There's a very good price on Amazon base model, but I noticed that one has the aluminum interior. What's the downside to having the aluminum interior surface?

I want digital control. My boss has one of the older Bradleys and he sent me a link for the pid components he used (actually only about $35).

So now is just whether I'd be happier with the base aluminum model with a home built pid or the 4 rack digital.

slowpoke

Your going to buy one smoker this live time so don't get cheap like I did. Get the Bradley 6 racker digital and shove it in mine and the bosses face.LOL You can't go wrong when you buy a Bradley.All the best and Welcome.
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

Salmonsmoker

Welcome to the forum larryk. I've never heard of a Bradley with an aluminum interior. Are you sure it's not stainless steel?
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

larryk

The Bradley Electric Smoker (BT1S1) has aluminum interior..

hybridcx

I went with the OBS and dual prob pid and have no complaints at all. more than happy with it..

that said there are some mods I am wanting to do basically a fan and second element, not needed but will be nice to have..

beefmann

welcome aboard,

first things  first while it would be  great  to  have  extra  space in the  6 rack if you  need it.. then  buy  it, if not  go with the  4 rack.

you  need to decide   on  what you  will be making such as  8 to  10 racks of baby back ribs ,  sausages,  smoking  more then 45 lbs of meat at a time, if yes to this then the  6 rack is a better choice,

if not go  with the 4 rack and PID.

i have been using a 4 rack for 7 years  now and only needed  extra space in it  twice in that  time .. till this day i cannot justify the 6 rack if I  needed the  extra  room twice in 7 years.
Do not get me wrong, People make  sausage and hang it in  the smoker to  smoke and they are  long  so extra room is  needed so if you  do need the room get the  bigger unit

hope this  helps

4given

Welcome to the Forum! Lot's of good folks and info here!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

viper125

I havt the OBS and the dual probe Auber Pid. And I have heard tons of digital guys who wish they had gone this way. Just watch and see how many digital owners are running pids to do what the auber does. Just saying.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: viper125 on March 13, 2012, 05:43:44 PM
I havt the OBS and the dual probe Auber Pid. And I have heard tons of digital guys who wish they had gone this way. Just watch and see how many digital owners are running pids to do what the auber does. Just saying.
I'm one of those. Thats what happens when you buy first then find this forum. ;D :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Salmonsmoker

Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

larryk

Thanks guys. You've sold me on getting the PID. Now for the 2 smokers that are available. The one with the aluminum interior is $269. The other is $349.  The apparent upgrades are:

•New Stainless Steel Interior.
•New Rack supports keep racks from tipping over when pulled out.
•Heat control moved to Smoke Generator which will eliminate moisture damage to switch.
•Improved Front Face Plate.
•Improved Electronic components
•Extra large front feet for added support and stability.
•Generator has removable side panel for ease of cleaning and preventative maintenance.

Worth the extra cost?

viper125

To me its still the original. Not the upgrade I hoped to  see.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

JZ

If it was me I would go with the original $269 and the PID. I have both the original (OBS) and the digital (DBS) 4 racks. I really like the DBS but prefer the tighter temp control I get with the OBS and the PID.

beefmann

go with the original and use the money you  save for toys and or  mods