Garage Rigging / Smokin in the Rain

Started by STLstyle, March 15, 2012, 07:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLstyle

TedEBear

QuoteSmall world.  I work in St. Charles, live in west St. Louis county. I attended college at Kansas State.  Missouri basketball fans probably remember them from several meetings this season.   

Anyway, I put my smoker on my covered front porch if it looks like it will rain during a cooking session.

I hang my head in sorrow and am on a generous ration of bourbon.  My Tigers were defeated by 15 seed Norfork St.  My avatar will never change but I admit this is a low point as ulumni and fanhood...

Oh well, there's 14lbs of pork butt I hope will chear me up.

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

TedEbear

Quote from: STLstyle on March 16, 2012, 04:35:14 PM
TedEBear
I hang my head in sorrow and am on a generous ration of bourbon.  My Tigers were defeated by 15 seed Norfork St.  My avatar will never change but I admit this is a low point as ulumni and fanhood...

Oh well, there's 14lbs of pork butt I hope will chear me up.

Even though I'm not a Tigers fan I would have liked for them to have made it a bit further. They were a great team this season. 

That 14 lbs of pork butt will keep you busy for 20 hours or so.  I'm heading up to St. Charles for a century ride on the KATY Trail later this morning.  If the wind is blowing right maybe I'll smell the smoke as I ride near you.   :)

STLstyle

Toker,
Kitchen huh?  I feel better now talking garage...

CoreyMac,
That's a sweet setup man!  If you do have a fire, it looks like you got enough Penzoil off to the right of your smoker to keep her hot for a while!

TedEBear,
Hope you had a nice ride today and got a whiff...  Got to have been hit by the rain though? Had hail again today at the house at 5pm...

Thanks for all input and pics!
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Toker

Yeah in my kitchen  ;D easier with my physical handicap. I'M in wheelchair. But after the smoke time, i always put a pan under the meat like in a regular oven.

hal4uk

Quote from: STLstyle on March 16, 2012, 04:35:14 PM
I wuz pullin' for Mizzou..  Y'all had a helluva year.

My Wildcats have to play Indiana next week (one of the two teams that beat us this year), but I think we can take 'em this time  ;)
Anyhow... What time is DUKE playing tomorrow? (pffffffffttttt...)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

viper125

Quote from: Toker on March 17, 2012, 07:21:57 PM
Yeah in my kitchen  ;D easier with my physical handicap. I'M in wheelchair. But after the smoke time, i always put a pan under the meat like in a regular oven.

I would be ok with it. Its just another appliance to me just like a stove. Keep it clean and be careful like any thing else. All the fires i have seen seems like user error one way or the other. Experience helps also. So be careful and keep on smoking.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Toker

That is what i think too. Just one thing to be carefull, evacuating the smoke through the window with a fan to make sure my fire detector doesn't learn I'm smoking inside. But so far, he doesn't know ;D

TedEbear

Quote from: STLstyle on March 17, 2012, 07:06:54 PMTedEBear,
Hope you had a nice ride today and got a whiff...  Got to have been hit by the rain though? Had hail again today at the house at 5pm...

I was off the trail by around 4:30, so I didn't see any hail.  I did get more than my share of rain the final 40 miles.  I didn't mind that but I could have done without the lightning.

The rain must have washed away the smoke coming from your Bradley.  I didn't smell anyone smoking anything yesterday.   ;D   Hope the pork butt turned out OK and it didn't get rained out.

wipf9994

I installed a range hood in my garage.works like a charm

viper125

One of the reasons I don't sweat the smoker in the garage is because I am a worry wort. I would't feel safe just leaving it go. So I am continually looking  and watching. I do keep my Erie boat in there. And it gives me a reason to stay and work on it more. Always some thing to install or adjust. I learned my lesson when single. I almost burnt a house I owned down. Lucky it was a duplex. I lived down stairs and had got off work late as usual. My girl friend now wife. Was also getting off at 11:00 So I promised her a couple nice steaks.Well between working two full time jobs and the hour oh also the beer I got tired. Sit down on the couch and fell asleep. Upstairs renters tried to wake me when the smoke filled there apartment upstairs. Wife had come and no answer so figured I was still working. Lucky my renters knew my family and called my Dad. He come over and had a pass key. Got me out of the house and the firemen vented the smoke.Well the steaks were ashes and the pan about melted. Could have ended up a lot worse. Don't drink these days, but after that when I did I didn't cook with out people around. And I never , never leave a stove,grill or cooker of any type unattended.
Inside setup.

4given

Quote from: viper125 on March 18, 2012, 08:19:07 AM
One of the reasons I don't sweat the smoker in the garage is because I am a worry wort. I would't feel safe just leaving it go. So I am continually looking  and watching. I do keep my Erie boat in there. And it gives me a reason to stay and work on it more. Always some thing to install or adjust. I learned my lesson when single. I almost burnt a house I owned down. Lucky it was a duplex. I lived down stairs and had got off work late as usual. My girl friend now wife. Was also getting off at 11:00 So I promised her a couple nice steaks.Well between working two full time jobs and the hour oh also the beer I got tired. Sit down on the couch and fell asleep. Upstairs renters tried to wake me when the smoke filled there apartment upstairs. Wife had come and no answer so figured I was still working. Lucky my renters knew my family and called my Dad. He come over and had a pass key. Got me out of the house and the firemen vented the smoke.Well the steaks were ashes and the pan about melted. Could have ended up a lot worse. Don't drink these days, but after that when I did I didn't cook with out people around. And I never , never leave a stove,grill or cooker of any type unattended.

Close call! Praise God you were not hurt!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

viper125

Yes and it was a authorized indoor stove too! LOL
Inside setup.

frepar

@coreymac:  what kind of sexy lady do i see in the foreground of your pic?

Kahunas

I keep mine on the deck in a Suncast shed that I modified with a vent so I can cook in the rain and snow with the doors closed.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Marko723

Quote from: Kahunas on May 20, 2012, 05:53:17 AM
I keep mine on the deck in a Suncast shed that I modified with a vent so I can cook in the rain and snow with the doors closed.

I'd love to see what that set-up looks like.  I've been trying to come up with an idea to house/use mine in non-ideal weather conditions.