• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

jerky, cure and surface area.

Started by FLBentRider, March 16, 2012, 01:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

We usually measure the amount of cure by the (raw) weight of the meat we are using for jerky.

I have noticed when making nuggets instead of flat slices, that the end product seems saltier.

My theory is that there is less surface area on the nuggets, yet we use the same measure of cure per pound of meat.

It is my understanding that we use cure in jerky to keep it safe during the smoking/dehydrating process, and that it is primarily the surface of the meat that we are concerned with. (whole muscle jerky, ground meat is another story)

So, do you think it would be safe to reduce the amount of cure when making a lower surface area style of jerky?

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

viper125

More info needed like which cure you using. Better yet the full recipe. I assume your using Tender quick with salt problems. But a recipe and procedure and i'm sure you get your answer.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

FLBentRider

Using Hi Mountain bulk cure, which is roughly equivalent to basic cure mix from the recipe site.
2 teaspoons/lb
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

viper125

Im not familiar with mixes but sure someone will help soon.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

As far as the taste goes, there are two many variables as to why the nugget taste more salty. Such as the length of time you cured them, and also the mass should be considered. The salt does not just stay on the surface, it distributes itself throughout the meat. You may be taking in more meat at one time when eating a nugget, then if you just took a bite of thin jerky. In this case more mass will equal more salt.

I can't objectively answer your question about the amount of cure. I've never made nuggets, but when I make whole muscle jerky I don't use a cure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)