• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Dishwasher odor

Started by IKnowWood, February 07, 2006, 12:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKnowWood

OK, Questions for those that clean the Smoker grates, pan and drip tray in your Dishwashers.

My wife noted today that the items leave some residue odor in the dishwasher.  I check and it sure does.  Apparently it does not last, at least we think.  It is similar to the smell that builds up in the Cooler from FTCing.  

When I smoke I do pre-clean meat build-up as well as scrubb the drip tray pretty good with a brilo-pad to break it down.  But there is still a good amount of smeell on stuff.

Should I be soaking or pre-cleaning everything under water to get som eof this off?

I am concerned this odor with continue to build as it does in the cooler...

Thanks.

Edit:  Site performance is once again insane.   This is becoming a hinderance...
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

manxman

Hi,

Generally I give the bits a soak and rinse before I put them in the dishwasher to get rid of the worst of the food. However on a couple of occasions, maybe because I didn't rinse them well enough, I have had to run the dishwasher empty after taking the bits from the BS out because of the residual odour. This sorted the issue.

I also tend to make sure I don't put any else in other than the bits off the BS. I also check the filter afterwards for any residual bits.

Manxman.
Manxman

jaeger

IKW,
I usually clean most of my smoking equipment in the laundry tub area. I have all the brushes, scouring pads, rags and cleaning chemicals in this same area. I have a screen/strainer on the drain to keep the mess from going down the drain. I like having a large sink to work at and a lot of times I need the extra room for all the equipment.

<font size="2"><b>Doug</b></font id="size2">

IKnowWood

jeager

That would work if I had such an area.  Only sinks are in kitchen or bathroom.  None big enough for those items.

Still thinking.
IKnowWood

seabjorn

Has anyone come up with something to make clean-up easier?  I have tried pan spray on the drip pan hoping that the baked on fat would come off easier but it didn't seem to help.  I did 4 4-pound BBs this weekend, smoked 4 hours and continued to cook another 16 hours, and I can tell you it took darn near that long to clean up the drip pan and racks.  Soaking seems to help but some kind of non-stick surface would make life a lot easier.  
The only consolation was the pulled pork was better than the football game.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Has anyone come up with something to make clean-up easier?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> I use oven cleaner.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I use oven cleaner.
Olds

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Same here.

Bubbagump

Muskwa

I always try and take the drip tray and racks and wipe them off as soon as the meat comes out. Its a whole lot easier while they're still hot. It only takes a minute and it keeps me occupied a few minutes while the meat is resting.

Muskwa

IKnowWood

Also I use Grilling Pam.  It holds up better to high heat application.  I do not have an issue with the top of the drip pan but more so on the heated residue on the underneath.  For that I just use a Brillo Pad on and a little elbow greese and it comes good.  The rest of the vpan is ok with a wipe.  I just use the brillo pad and it pretty much takes care of the rest when I spend the time.  That pan only takes a few minutes.  Without the grillin Pam its a bit more effort.

I am using the non-stick grates more and more, I really like them.  I will have to soak them to remove any residue.
IKnowWood

Phone Guy

Why can't they make a non-stick drip tray?

ChefBill

I learned in the past to spray racks, drip pan, water bowl and botton pan with "Food Grade Silicone" spray. You can get it at most appliance parts houses ($10-12). (<i>I also use it in the ice maker tray to keep the cubes just falling out</i>[8)]) I just give it a good coat and then wipe it down with a soft piece of cloth to remove excess. As a whole everything just comes off with a light scrub in the kitchen sink, Most will rinse off with hot water. An old hand brush does the job. It only gets to the dish washer after 5-6 smoking sessions.

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

seabjorn

Thanks, guys.  I will try the food-grade silicon spray and the Pam for grilling.  I have used the regular Pam but to no avail so on to the heavy duty juice.  Haven't tried the oven cleaner but will keep that in reserve.  Anything to keep the peace with the clean-up crew.
seabjorn