• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

replacement puck advance motor

Started by car54, February 07, 2006, 10:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

The replacement puck advance motor is no longer available from Burden sales. Has any one else found a replacement some where else?

Thank you, Brad

gary_CO

I found the following quote on the third page of this thread
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2553 :

"ok here is what I have coming from www.partstore.com  I found it crossed to a daewoo # 3966821000 which is the part # you need to search it will NOT find it in the search using TYJ50-8 . I have one ordered the price is higher 15.45 including freight but it is the exact replacement number . unfortunatly they e-mailed me and stated they are currently out of stock but expect them in soon"

Looks like the Partstore has them in stock now...

iceman

Brad. If you get in a terrible pinch I'll toss one in the mail for you. I have a couple left up here and can send it to you anyway you want. Priority mail is just as fast as UPS blue from here.[:D]

car54

Iceman,
 Thanks for the offer put I also bought a spare. Some one emailed me wanting to know where to get one so I am looking for alternate places for him and other Bradley users.  

Thanks, Brad

headgames

hey Garyco ....  glad to see some one reads my posts . LOL Now that burden sales is out guess the way to go is the number I found with partstore .com   http://www.partstore.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductSKU=7706476&ProductType=PART     this should definately be as we say  a PLUG -n- PLAY  cause it is the exact number  just a little more costly then the others.

If ya go home hungry.........You were at the WRONG HOUSE !
If ya go home hungry ........ You were at the wrong House!!

julian

has anyone come up with new sources for these motors?. would be nice to have a spare one or two against that hated day when the original packs in, or just melts.

shearwater

Advance motor went out this weekend the unit is about three years old.

partstore.com part number is now 3966820200 $12.64 each

The link is http://www.partstore.com/PartNumberSearchResults.aspx?PartNumber=3966821000

Have one on order and will update how it works out.

Shearwater

Oldman

Quote from: shearwater on September 11, 2006, 01:00:57 PM
Advance motor went out this weekend the unit is about three years old.

partstore.com part number is now 3966820200 $12.64 each

The link is http://www.partstore.com/PartNumberSearchResults.aspx?PartNumber=3966821000

Have one on order and will update how it works out.

Shearwater

Thanks and  I would be interested in how it goes for you.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

shearwater

Update on the puck advancement motor replacement.

Not exactly a plug and play replacement and have detailed the swap below.

Received the 3966820200 replacement motor last week from parts.com
The motor is thinner, uses push on spade connectors and has a longer and slightly larger diameter shaft than the original.
No problem with the motor being thinner it bolts right up to the existing bracket without any issues.
The longer/larger shaft is an issue and had to be modified to work. The shaft length is critical as there is not a lot of room between the linkage and the top plate that supports the puck advancement slider. I used a dremel tool with a cutting disk to cut about 3/8 of an inch off the shaft making sure that I left it about 1/16 of an inch long. There is not a lot of shaft length to work with so leaving it a little long was the safest way to go.

Next I used a sharpie felt pen to mark the rounded side of the shaft and used the dremel drum sander to take down the shaft diameter on the rounded side only (felt pen marking let me keep track of material removed) the diameter is not off by much so this step goes quick. Once again I tried to leave it a bit oversized but close enough to get the arm started then used the screw to drive it down the shaft.

Cut the connecter off the old motor about an inch from the motor, this give plenty of wire to add the connectors. Did not feel like running to town for the correct push on connectors so I soldered directly to the lugs on the new motor.

While everything was apart I blew all of the wood chips and stuff out and made sure the advance plate moved freely before the new motor was installed.

With the slightly longer shaft the linkage rubbed on the top plate when installed so I took the washer and lock washer on the two screws for the motor bracket and placed them between the bracket and top plate to lower the motor about a 1/16 of an inch as opposed to additional shorting of the shaft. This provided enough clearance for the linkage to clear.

Total time was about 2 hours and included modifying a second motor I had purchased as backup.

Fired it up and works like new so was worth the effort, Smoked up two 4lb shoulders of Hi Mountain bacon yesterday with no problems. I fully cook the bacon and eat it like ham. Second time I have done bacon now and the stuff is a big hit.

If anyone has questions let me know and will be glad to answer.

shearwater

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the report, and the instructions for modifying the motor to work with the BS.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Thanks shearwater. Very good info for everyone.
I did learn a short cut on the last few motors I replaced for folks.
Instead of grinding the shaft down I just heat the arm up with a propane torch ( Butane lighter works too) just enough so it would slightly melt the shaft and slide on. I held it with vise grips.
Be careful not to get it to hot or push it to far onto the shaft.
When it cooled I cut the shaft off 1/8" above the arm with a hot exacto knife then melted the remainder over on the arm to hold it in place.
This also saved time trying to get the screw and washer back on the end of the shaft.
Just an idea that worked for me. ;)

shearwater

Thanks for the input Iceman, have to admit that heating up the arm crossed my mind more than once but the dermel was easly reached and the tourch had to be dug out of my shop.

Hope this will not need to be addressed again for awhile with the new motor in and a spare motor ready to install.

Going to try and blown out the generator with compressed air a little more often and store the unit indoors to see if I can get a little longer life out of the motor this time around.

Shearwater

iceman

Storing it inside and cleaning often will keep it running a lot longer especially when the weather gets cold. Those cheap little nylon gears inside the advance motor don't like cold much. The grease jells up and makes them work to hard. ;)
MAY YOU BLOW SMOKE FOR A LONG TIME TO COME!! :D ;D