• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Back after a few years

Started by tturaider, March 23, 2012, 12:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tturaider

Hey this is the first time that I have been back to this site in a few years.  I've started back to trying to use my smoker more often and for more than just jerky. I know that I've got a bunch of relearning to do. (i have the original 4 rack Bradley)

One question that I have is does anyone know where I can find out how to re calibrate my PID. It is just flashing all kinds of numbers and figures.

Also, I just saw one here about using a 900 watt heating element or two elements, can someone please explain these to me?

Thanks
Kevin
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

mikecorn.1

You can see a couple of threads here. Help tremendously with heat recovery, preheating and maintaining temp whe smoking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Mr Walleye

Hi Kevin and welcome back.

Here's the direct links that Mikecorn1 was pointing you to. These are the dual element mod. The 900 watt mod was done by BeefMan and if you do a serch on the forum here you will find it as there are several threads on it.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?572-Additional-Heating-Element-Modification&p=910#post910

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?578-Additional-Heating-Element-for-OBS-with-On-Off-Control&p=917#post917

It's hard to say about your PID. Maybe if you provided more details on it such as if it's a plug & play unit or was it a home brew unit and what model along with any more details on how it's acting may help.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mikecorn.1

Here is the thread on 900w mod

900w mod by Beefman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

tturaider

Thanks for the reply guys. I've been out of town since I posted that and this is my first time back on here since then.

I'm gona check into putting a second heating element in my smoker.

On the subject of the pid I can't exactly remember what it was saying but I do remember that it was just a bunch of incomplete letters and numbers.  I think it might just be the fact that it has gotten a bunch of dust in it and needs to be replaced. With that being said can I buy a complete pid setup ready to control the smoker? If not I will just buy a new pid and replace it.

Or can I just buy a new digital smoke generator to replace my old one?

Thanks
Kevin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TedEbear

Quote from: tturaider on March 31, 2012, 04:45:12 PMWith that being said can I buy a complete pid setup ready to control the smoker? If not I will just buy a new pid and replace it.

You can get an internal PID controller for around $45 or you can buy a stand-alone version for the Bradley for $135-$185.

Internal PID Controller

Stand-alone Bradley Smoker Controller (single probe)

Stand-alone Bradley Smoker Controller (dual probe)

tturaider

Thanks Ted I will look into those.  I may go the cheaper route and just replace the one that I have.  I'm still wondering if anyone knows if I can just buy a digital smoke generator to replace my original one.  My original one is starting to act up and I was thinking that after I pay for the new pid and then buy a new generator it might be cheaper to just buy a new digital generator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

KyNola

I  don't think you can replace the original smoke gen with a digital one "as is" as the digital model has a jumper cable that goes from the smoke gen to the tower and will show a connection error without it.  Now, having said that there is "dummy" plug that fools the digital smoke gen into thinking the jumper is connected to the tower when you use a separate cold smoke set up.  One of those plugs comes with the Bradley cold smoke adapter and I know that of the members here have made their own plugs but I don't know how to do that.

A digital smoke gen with a dummy plug might work.  Bear in mind though that the digital smoke gen will not control the heat in your orignal Bradley.  You will still have to do that separetely.  The jumper cable that I mentioned earlier is the connection to the heating element in the tower of the digital models that allows it to control the heat in the tower.