Ahhhhhhh ya made me go and do it.

Started by Bear1968, March 27, 2012, 03:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear1968

Hi All!!!!!   :D

I have been sneaking around this forum for quite some time checking out many of the tips, rubs, brines, sauces and methods posted here but today I am officially a Bradley owner so I figured I better register and introduce myself!
I checked out some of the other intro threads and saw that the community wants to see "More Pic's" and "More about yourself" so I will try to do a good job of that.
My name is Bear and I am a Union Commercial Carpenter from New Castle PA USA. I fell in love with smoking about 30 years ago when a buddy and I built a ground smoker to try and smoke trout. Basically it was two holes dug into a hillside and connected with a piece of clay pipe with a smoldering fire in one that we choked in one hole and trout hanging in the uphill hole. We got the idea from a book or magazine we read many moons ago. I thought it to do a good job but our parents still made us finish the trout in the oven  :'(
Since then I have smoked in home made smokers as well as store bought smokers but they have all been wood or charcoal fired.

*Old Faithful*
I used to do things that I though were pretty easy like Fish and sausage and every once in a while I would do a Pork But for Pulling but when I started surfing the internet it opened up up a whole new door for me! I eventually found this site and got some GREAT info off of it for things like Tilapia, Disney Turkey Legs and Deer Hams.

*Candied Salmon, Sweet and Spicy Talapia and Killer Smoked Baby Back Ribs (finished on a grill of course)*
I guess what finally brought me here was I used a ham kit on a 10 pound Sirloin tip and tried to keep the temperature and times as  posted in this forum for venison hams. 12hr at 120 no smoke, 8hr at 140 with smoke then 170 until internal of 153 - 155. Sounded to be a tough one but I gave her a shot.  About 30 hours LATER it was done and so was I.

*The Straw that broke the Camel's back .... but still VERY good!*
After placing the meat in the garage fridge to cool for the slicer I sat dazed on my tailgate, completely burned out. That is when it hit me like a ball bat right between the eyes. "I bet those people posting on the Bradley forum probably don't feel like they fought a war every time they finished a smoke. They just set up the smoker and walk away."
I drug myself into the house and Ordered a Digital 6 Rack off of Amazon. The only problem was that when I put it all together, Brought it onto the patio and opened the door it looked to beautiful to use. To me it was like looking at the Holy Grail at the end of a very long quest. For me the quest reward was going to be not feeling like I just fought the Battle of Sparta every time I finish a smoke!
8)
UBC Local 268

mikecorn.1

Welcome aboard. Nice pics. Keep em coming or else ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

beefmann

great pics . great  start to the forum and welcome aboard

JZ

Welcome aboard and hopefully your days will now be filled with the pleasure of smoking not anxiety.

Keymaster

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

slowpoke

If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

viper125

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Salmonsmoker

Welcome Bear. The Bradley is your "Bear Essential" for smoking. :o
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Jim O

Welcome Bear !Congratulations on your purchase!

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

watchdog56

Congrats on your new smoker and welcome. Don't be afraid to ask any questions.

MidKnightRider

"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist