Pulled pork...

Started by canadianbacon, March 31, 2012, 01:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadianbacon

Hello everyone; my first post here.   Bought a BS a couple weeks ago and am smoking ribs almost 3x a week :o.

Moving on to smokin pork shoulder for pulled pork.  I bought a small piece of meat this week (4 lbs) and if it turns out well going to try 12 lbs next week for part of an Easter dinner. 

My question is, is there a rule of thumb for pulled pork?  Meaning how long do I smoke (pounds/hour) pork shoulder?

I saw a couple good recipes on this site.

Any help would be appreciated!

mikecorn.1

For my experience, no rule. It's done when it's done. Myself, IT of 195 minimum. My last butt was 8lbs.  and it took 19 hours. :o :o
That's at 225' steady the whole time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

canadianbacon

how many hours of smoke would you do for 19 hours of lovin?

mikecorn.1

I put 4 hrs of smoke on it.  You could go more if you want but some feel that it doesn't make much of a difference. I have never done more than 4 hours. One day I will try more to see what the difference will be. Gonna fill that tube up and see what happens. ;D. There's gotta be a reason why the tube is that long ;) ;D 8)

Mike

Ka Honu

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on March 31, 2012, 02:07:18 PMThere's gotta be a reason why the tube is that long ...

That's what she said.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Ka Honu on March 31, 2012, 02:50:43 PM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on March 31, 2012, 02:07:18 PMThere's gotta be a reason why the tube is that long ...

That's what she said.
:o ;D

Mike

Wildcat

A small butt will not take near as long as the larger ones. Generally, the longer the smoke the stronger the flavor (different woods come into play as well). I have never done a small butt, but for the larger ones I go 4 hours and usually do it with apple. IMHO any more than 4 hours is a waste because the meat can only absorb just so much smoke. The internal meat temp should be the same for large or small (about 190 - depending on the cabinet temp you use). The time it takes is really not predictable. I have had one large butt take over 24 hours one day and another butt of similiar size and quality only take 16 hours the next day. FTC is not really required on butts, but it sure comes in handy for keeping the meat hot until chow time. The butts I buy have plenty of fat in them so I normally take most, if not all, of the fat cap off of it.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

MrRaven

I like big butts and I cannot lie

had to be said

:P

I agree with what has been said above. I have smoked the butts for 5 -6 hours max and then just cooked the rest of the way until it reached 190 IT. I also use the FTC to keep it hot. SInce you never know how long it will take to get to 190 IT, give yourself plenty of time and with the extra time do the Foil-Towel-Cooler to keep it hot.

Sounds like a great Easter up ahead.  I live in Toronto too, so if I happen to smell the smoker, you may have someone pop by. LOL

I am planning my Easter meal as well and my Bradley will be smoking next weekend as well!

canadianbacon

LOL sounds good...there will be plenty for vistors :)

Quote from: MrRaven on March 31, 2012, 04:38:29 PM

Sounds like a great Easter up ahead.  I live in Toronto too, so if I happen to smell the smoker, you may have someone pop by. LOL

canadianbacon

thanks for the great responses.  2 more Q's:

How much BBQ sauce do you put into the pork?  Is that an 'it depends' answer or a fixed type of ratio?

Does rain affect the wood while smoking? >:(

Wildcat

Amount and type of sauce depends on individual taste. Personally I serve mine with sauce on the side.

Do not let the wood get wet.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

canadianbacon

Umm...that may be an issue...rain is pouring

devo

canadianbacon

just put saran wrap on the pipe - hope it helps!

TedEbear

Quote from: canadianbacon on April 01, 2012, 07:08:12 AM
Umm...that may be an issue...rain is pouring

just put saran wrap on the pipe - hope it helps!

Your Bradley is sitting out in a pouring down rain?   :o

Is there a covered porch or something where it would be protected from the elements?  Wet wood is one thing.  There are electronics in the Bradley that don't do well if they get wet.