• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ribs and Pulled Pork

Started by begolf25, February 13, 2006, 06:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

begolf25

Hey fellas,

My Bradley Smoker is on the way and I should have it by Wednesday.  For my first smoke I wanted to try some ribs and pulled pork. Not a huge butt, probably only around 7-8 lbs.  I was hoping I could get some advice for doing these two such as how to prepare, cooking times, type of smoke to use, ect....

I want to pick everything up this week to have it ready so any advice would be very helpful.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

begolf25 welcome to the forum and congratulation on your new smoker on its way, a 6 to 7 lb pork but could take 10 plus hours to cook, ribs 5 plus hours to cook, for your first smoke get some chicken breast wrap them with bacon smoke for 2 hours , smoker temp 200 to 220 cook the breast to 160 internal temp  will take you no more then 4 hours, from start to finish.

begolf25

Thanks for the advice.  I have done plenty of chicken the last few weeks on my charcoal grill using the indirect cooking method.  I want to try something different.  I don't mind the amount of time these will take to cook or prepare.  I know it will be my first time using this smoker but having fun trying new things is the reason I decided to get it.

Also, I am not sure why my post count is at 2, I have probably made at least 5 or 6 other posts on the board.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

do you have a meat temp gauge? if not you will need one. take out the pork but and take some plane ole yellow mustard cover the whole butt with it then sprinkle with your favorite rub, let it sit out for a few hours to get to room temp, pre heat your Bradley get her nice and hot stick the but in second shelf from bottom open vent 1/4 open, wait 20 min then start to turn down smoker temp slowly until you can maintain 200 to 220 temp,  smoke for 3 to 4 hours,  now your butt will get up to about 150 int temp and then hang for a long time don't panic just be patient, cook till it hits 190 int temp, pull it out wrap in foil then in a towel then into a empty ice chest = FTC , wait at least an hour then pull your butt apart and enjoy[:D]

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by begolf25</i>
<br />Also, I am not sure why my post count is at 2, I have probably made at least 5 or 6 other posts on the board.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've noticed that whenever you timeout, even though the post is added, it does not change the post count

Bubbagump

nodak

cough cough cough

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

begolf25

Thanks Smokehouse,

Any suggestions for wood type to smoke?  I have some hickory, apple and a variety pack on the way with my smoker.

As far as the ribs go anyone have any recipes they can pass on.  Something simple I can do along with the butt?

IKnowWood

Use Hickory or Apple.  I tried both and both are good.  Maybe Apple as you should use Apple Juice to help re-hydrate or flavor when FTCing.  

Don't forget to season the smoker before this cook, if you get any special blend in that variety pack, us it to season,  Otherwise just use what you don't mind to waste a few pucks.

Also check posts for Grilln Pam to help the clean-up.

And lastsy, for recipe or other guides, check Olds Recipe site. (A sticky on the forum)

And be prepared for a longer than 10 hours.  and DON"T PEEK!!!
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

IKnowWood

And yes, the posting is a pain with time-outs and post counts are all messed up.  Overall bad.  Keep an eye out for the new site coming soon.
IKnowWood

TexasBBQ

Begolf, that was exactly what I made for my first smoking experience on my new BS. Since I just did it this weekend it is fresh in my memory =)

First, both were great but I wish I had allowed a little more time for the butt.....don't get me wrong it turned out excellent and got rave reviews from everyone but I only got the internal temp up to about 165F after 10.5 hours and was shooting for close to 190F so another 3 hours couldn't have hurt. I went with the expresso pulled pork recipe in Steven Reichlen's &lt;sp?&gt; BBQ USA. I used a strong coffee instead of expresso and went with fresh gourmet coffee beans and a cheap coffee bean grinder... mine was about 9.5 lbs when I bought it but trimmed a lot of fat off....although I left enough for a great taste and moistness.

The ribs I also went for a modified version in the same BBQ book, the Apple City rib recipe... while they turned out good I felt I may have overcooked them by cooking for 6 hours instead of maybe 5.

For both I mixed the wood a little but focused on hickory, a little oak, one or two maple and finished with apple wood.

While I love ribs, for the money I can tell you I will be making a lot more of the pulled pork in the future. With 8 people eating on it over the course of three days it was the best of show. The ribs went the first night with only two slabs and the cost for those was more than twice that of the butt. [;)]

Ya Gotta love good BBQ

begolf25

Well fellas the Smoker just arrived.  I am going to unpack it tonight and get it seasoned with the special blend pucks.

I will be doing two butts tomorrow night.  I have one in the fridge with the rub applied and the other I have sitting in a brine which I will apply a rub to before smoking.  Started both last night.  My local meat market only had a couple of smaller butts in stock so I figured why not try a couple of different recipes to start off.

I will be starting them both tomorrow night.  I figure it is best to let them cook while I sleep or I will be opening the door every 5 minutes which I know is a big no no[:D]  Once done I will be posting some pics, good or bad, to let you know how it went.  thanks for all the advice I am sure I will be back for more.

IKnowWood

Good luck.  Make sure to empty the puck pan after about 4 to 5 hours.  And reload some water.  How long are you smoking?
IKnowWood

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TexasBBQ</i>
<br />...but trimmed a lot of fat off<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Blasphemy![:D]

Heck, I even do the bacon drip thing with butts! As the fat renders, it carries the outside rub down into the interior meat. Extra fat simply drips into the water bowl.

Cooked to 190-195, any outside fat will be a crispy skin that you can easily peel off if you desire. I prefer to shred it as is, since the whole butt is say, 7# of meat vs 1/2 a pound of rendered, VERY flavored & spiced fat.

On a butt, less than 25% of the actual meat gets flavored. It's up to the outer, overly seasoned, crusties to make the difference up for the inner meat.

I think the bacon drip would also solve your rib issue. If your reported results were the only problem you had with it, consider yourself a success. Babybacks are tricky & for a virgin, you did a great job![:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

begolf25

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by IKnowWood</i>
<br />Good luck.  Make sure to empty the puck pan after about 4 to 5 hours.  And reload some water.  How long are you smoking?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks for the suggestion.  I wasn't sure if I needed to change the water during the cooking or not.  I will probably smoke between 3 and 4 hours and see how that goes.

begolf25

One other question.  Just looked at my weather forecast and it is supposed to be 25 overnight with a wind chill of 7.  Is the bradley able to handle this weather or should I wait for better conditions? It is only supposed to get up to about 30 during the day on Saturday so its not going to be much better. Unfortunately, the garage is attached to the house and the wife isn't going to like a smoke filled house while we are sleeping :) so I can't put it in there to protect it a little.