Northern Pike fish cure?

Started by canadian bacon, February 14, 2006, 03:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian bacon

I hate to say it. But i just tried to smoke 3 lbs of Northern Pike using a recipe i found on line. After all my hard work the fish turned out way to salty to bare.

Brine:
8 cups apple juice
3/4 cup canning or pickling salt
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 lbs., walleye(8 oz., each, 1/2 to 1 inch thick)

1/2 cup apple juice
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon honey
In a 5 quart glass or plastic container, combine brine ingredients. Stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Add fillets to brine. Cover and refridgerate 12 hours or overnight.
Rinse with water, pat dry with paper towels. Arrange fillets on cooling racks. Air dry for 1 hour, or until fillets are shiney and dry.
Spray smoker racks with non-stick vegetable cooking spray. Arrange fillets on prepared racks, spacing them at least 1/2 inch apart.Smoke fillets until fish flakes easily with fork. In a 1 quart saucepan, combine glaze ingredients. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, or until mixture is hot and sugar is dissolved, stirring frequently. Brush glaze over fillets. Continue smoking for approx., 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until glaze is set.

What did i do wrong? Im thinking that the fish was left in the brine to long? around 18hrs. what are your thoughts guys?

jaeger

Canadian Bacon,
I always soak in fresh clean water, anything I have brined or cured. I would recommend soaking for at least one hour.
Another thing you may consider, the more delicate the meat you are brining, the more it will take on the salt. Fish and Poultry will take on salt taste more than pork or beef. I would add the salt in smaller increments next time and taste the brine, if it taste real salty, your fish will be salty no matter how long you rinse and soak it.
Keep notes on your measurements and procedures until you develop a recipe that you can call your own![;)]

<font size="2"><b>Doug</b></font id="size2">

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

canadian bacon welcome to the forum, table non iodine salt is almost the same as canning salt in saltness use sea salt or koasher salt here is a salt table i use, might help .
Kosher Salt And Table Salt Don't Measure Equally By Volume

Table salt and kosher salt do not have the same saltiness in a flavor brine when measured by volume--but they do when measured by weight.
Table salt weighs about 10 ounces per cup, while kosher salt weighs 5-8 ounces per cup, depending on the brand. If using kosher salt in a brine, you must use more than a cup to achieve the same salt flavor you would get from a cup of table salt.
The chart below shows equivalent amounts of table salt and the two most popular brands of kosher salt.
<font size="3">Table Salt   1 cup
Morton Kosher Salt   1-1/2 cups
Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt   2 cups</font id="size3">
Morton Kosher Salt weighs about 7.7 ounces per cup, making it three-fourths as strong as table salt. Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt weighs about 5 ounces per cup, making it half as strong as table salt.
So what if you're using something other than Morton Kosher or Diamond Crystal Kosher salt? Regardless of the type of salt--sea salt, pickling salt, and any other brand of kosher salt--just measure 10 ounces of it on a kitchen scale, and you will have the equivalent of 1 cup of table salt.