• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

What cut of meat is best???

Started by rosecustom, April 15, 2012, 05:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosecustom

There seems to be a big difference of opinion on what cut of beef to use making jerky.   I know there is a big price variation but I've read everything from sirloin to london broil (top round) to flank.  I was under the impression flank was the cut of choice but I'd  to hear from some experienced forum members before attempting my first jerky smoke.
Thanks.
Jeff.

Keymaster

I like top round just because its easy for me to get a more consistent cut and I like the way it bites off the stick, "EASY" :)

rajzer

I have never used flank in Jerky because I like it in other ways such as stir frys or grilled then thinly sliced.  It has a very unique flavour that is I think would be lost with making it into jerky.  I usually buy a 10 lb sirloin tip roast at Costco and slice it all into jerky that last me a long time.

rosecustom

I guess I'm a little hung up on slicing the meat as well.  If I use a london broil will the grain of the meat be OK ?  I'm under the impression you should cut it with the grain  to allow a good bite and chew as opposed to against the grain where it might be a tad crumbly. I'm obviously a little confused.

Consooger

I use London Broil all the time and it works out great. When I slice it the grain is sort of on an angle but it doesn't come out crumbly at all.
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Fernslinger

I like London Broil too...perfect size too as you only have to slice it up one way :)

viper125

Any lean good meat from any thing that swims,walks,flys or crawls LOL Goose makes particularly good jerky.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

ghost9mm

We use top round most of the time, but if I find a real nice lean piece of any cut of beef at the right price, it's jerky time...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

rosecustom

Thanks for the replies.  London Broil it is.  I'm gearing up for a Sat morning smoke.