KIMCHI UPDATE

Started by Keymaster, April 21, 2012, 06:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rensho

QuoteWell bet you could make it the way my wife makes her sauerkraut She packs it in quart jars and puts lid on and ring. But don't tighten the ring just loose.

I have a ceramic crock for our sauerkraut.  I usually make 25 lbs. at a time and then take out what we haven't used after two months and freeze it.  It freezes beautifully.  Frische blut und leberwurst mit sauerkraut und dampfkartoffeln - ah, nectar of the Gods.  Then afterwards a shot of the local moonshine.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Keymaster

I let the kimchi ferment one day longer than the suggested 3 days. This was a very good experiment. I opened the jar and it smelled just like store bought. I removed the Foodsaver bag filled with water I used as a weight. I pealed back the top layer of cabbage leaves and found the Kimchi I chopped up and scooped some out and put it in a bowl. then the taste test..... SUCCESS, I made some quality kimchi !!! its a little hotter than what i am used to but after the initial burn its free wheelin :) The wife gave it a rating of "Delicous" but hot. I will definately do this again

Heres a picture showing how much liquid was pulled from the Kimchi

And the Bowl of kimchi

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Habanero Smoker

Finished product looks good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

That looks real good Aaron.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Keymaster

Thanks guys!! This was a fun project.

viper125

Very nice and will add it to my to do list!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

SiFumar

I love Kimchi!  And that looks perfect!

slowpoke

Gotta try this one forsure.Looks GREAT,Key
If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

jjmoney

Nice. I made some kimchi over the holidays and it is awesome. I have been on cloud nine making breakfast tacos with homemade soft corn tortillas, scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese, topped with a bunch of kimchi. So, so good.

I used napa, carrot, ginger, garlic, green onion, salt, fish sauce, sriracha, and chilli flakes. I ended up adding more carrots and some normal cabbage because it was too salty and spicy, and left it out a couple extra days before refrigerating. The final result scares my family because of the smell but I think it smells and tastes awesome, especially in breakfast tacos. Kimchi (and natural sauerkraut) is great because of that nice bready, nutty flavor you get from the lactic acid.

I cheated a bit when making mine - I added a little juice and a small leaf from some commercial kimchi, as well as some juice and a couple strands from a commercial natural sauerkraut to ensure fermentation because I was concerned the sriracha's preservatives might inhibit the lactobacilli. Worked like a charm. Anyway - it was easy to make, delicious, and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes spicy food.