KIMCHI UPDATE

Started by Keymaster, April 21, 2012, 06:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keymaster

This is my first try at making my own Kimchi. I purchased the Book " Sauerkraut, Kimchi, Pickles and Relish" By Stanley Marianski and His brother Adam.
Started out with 2 heads of napa Cabbage.

Then I made a brine of three cups of salt to 4 quarts of water and soaked the cabbage for three hours.

Then triple rinsed it in the salad spinner

Chopped up the cabbage in 2" slices and then cut the Scallions, Finely diced the ginger root, Red pepper powder, Crushed 3 cloves of garlic and got the salt and sugar ready for mixing.

Mixed in all the spices and goodness...

Put it in the homemade fermintation jar for a three day ride, or maybe more....

muebe

Key I absolutely love Kimchi!

I thought that you would bury it in the ground in a clay pot ;)

Looking forward to your results and I may need to try this.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

What's the thingamagigy on top of the jar do? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

muebe

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on April 21, 2012, 06:45:42 PM

During the fermentation process gas is created. That allows the gas to escape the jar and keep air from getting in. The color in the water is so you can tell when the water is low.

Although I could be completely wrong Mike.... not the first time ;)
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Keymaster

Quote from: muebe on April 21, 2012, 06:49:32 PM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on April 21, 2012, 06:45:42 PM

During the fermentation process gas is created. That allows the gas to escape the jar and keep air from getting in. The color in the water is so you can tell when the water is low.

Although I could be completely wrong Mike.... not the first time ;)
Perfect explanation Muebe  :)

mikecorn.1

Got it.

Mike

viper125

Looks interesting never heard of it though. It sounds like a pickle type deal .am i right? You can also use a poor mans air lock. I use to make wine and all i do is put a hole in the lid and screw on. Push a small lenght of aquairium air tubing into the hose a short distance but not touching the juice or any thing. put the other end into a container of water. I used a canning jar. then seal around hose and hole in jar lid of container with the food. Thus prevents air leaks. And the end of the hose under the water keeps bacteria from entering.

Will be watching for final results as this sounds like a very good mix.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

3rensho

It is delicious stuff.  Got a finished batch sitting in the downstairs refer.  Wife complains about the garlic odor.  Used 5 scotch bonnets in this batch and it'll light you up.  The stuff is addictive.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

Kimchi is good stuff. I'm down to my last jar from the last batch I made. The last batch I was finally able to get hold of some Korean chili powder, and that made a big difference in flavor, but it was not as hot as the previous batches I use to make with Serrano pepper. I'll continue to use the Korean chili powder, but kick it up with some Serrano (scotch bonnets would light me up  :) ).

Viper
I use to ferment mine in a 1 gallon wide mouth jar or you can use a bowl and layer plastic film across the top. You just need to make sure that none of the vegetables are exposed to oxygen or mold will grow. I have a kimchi recipe posted some where on this forum that explains how to ferment that way. But for the last batch I used a fermenting crock pot I purchased from Sausage Makers; and that works very well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

car54

muebe

My wife hates the smell of Kimchi but I love the stuff too. I usually by it from a local Korean BBQ place and their's is very good.

I am very intrigued about making my own ;)

Keymaster

I purchased the Jar at Wallyworld for 5 bucks and the Air lock was a buck fifty at the beer supply store. It is really cheap to get started, basically cabbage and salt and your ready to make sauerkraut. I usually pay 4 bucks for a pint of Kimchi at safeway. My wifes not to thrilled about the smell either Muebe  :)

3rensho

It is just Korean sauerkraut.  Just had a big bowl of it with steamed rice and grilled pork belly.  Wife wouldn't come in the dining room until I had cleared out  ;D ;D ;D
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

viper125

Well bet you could make it the way my wife makes her sauerkraut She packs it in quart jars and puts lid on and ring. But don't tighten the ring just loose. Let's the gas out that way. And She makes great sauerkraut.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

muebe

I like the setup Key.

It looks like a mad scientist project ;)