Building a Boeing 737-800 simulator

Started by Flyboyandre, April 22, 2012, 07:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

That is so cool. I have been drooling over the "Torchmaster" Machines. They are more for metal work but you can rig them for woodwork and even 2D contoured work. I just don't have the computer skills. I was give a copy of "Autocad 2000" and it just floored me. I was definately out of my element. He also loned me the manual which is as thick and big as the new york phone book. I would use it for hobby work but to make a bit of money too.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Flyboyandre

Well, i've done it again. My OCD told me that I had taken too many shortcuts while building the MIP so I tore the damn thing apart and started from scratch.
You can also see the new screen mounts i crafted.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Flyboyandre

All this building --> tearing it apart --> rebuilding makes me come up with new ideas all the time. Here is a shot of the new monitor brackets I crafted along with a new way to attach the PFD/ND bezels to the screens. I glued a neodymium magnet to the 4 corners of each bezel. As you can see I added a thin strip of steel across the bottom of the MIP to provide added strength and a surface for the magnets to snap onto. The bezels snap securely in place and can be easily removed for dusting the screen, etc.

Flyboyandre

Figured I'd post a teaser of the projector screen during assembly process.

Flyboyandre

Figured I'd share a small update of my screen setup. I will post a full series of pictures from the screen construction on my blog with my next update.

PapaC

Absolutely incredible Andre! Your craftsmanship is excelent. I'm a mechanic on the 737 program so I'm inside and around one every day but man, that is amazing. Have fun!!
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

Flyboyandre

Thank you kindly!

Quote from: PapaC on November 29, 2012, 09:34:53 AM
Absolutely incredible Andre! Your craftsmanship is excelent. I'm a mechanic on the 737 program so I'm inside and around one every day but man, that is amazing. Have fun!!

hal4uk

As an avid promoter of "persistence"...
I think you deserve an AWARD.

This just gets MORE amazing all the time!

Carry on! 
Fly the friendly skies!
Go where no man has gone before!!!
Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Flyboyandre

Thx Hal! You guys should see the projectors mounted and full visual testing soon :)

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Flyboyandre

Hey guys. Sorry for the very infrequent updates. I haven't  made a lot of progress but I do have the visual setup up and running. I'm very pleased with the 220 degree wraparound.
I'm working on getting a website for the build up and running. It's been hard to keep multiple blogs going at the same time so I hope website will make it easier :)

Cheers for now.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

TedEbear

We're back to the billboard size photos that I can only see about 1/4th of without scrolling.

Sailor

Quote from: TedEbear on January 10, 2013, 04:23:37 AM
We're back to the billboard size photos that I can only see about 1/4th of without scrolling.
Remember it is a BIG Airplane!  :o  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Keymaster

Flyboyandre

Ok, here is a better shot. I haven't done all the warping on the picture, nor have i blended the projector signals but it should at least give you an idea.

TedEbear

Now I get the picture.  Wow, that looks very nice.   :)