wild turkey

Started by cobra6223, April 27, 2012, 02:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobra6223

Hi Folks
a friend is giving me a wild turkey and I need suggestions about some things. I know wild turkey is very dry, I'm thinking of brining it first, Next when I smoke it I'm thinking about going low and slow to help prevent it from drying out. I also know this bird is skinned so I will lose any help that would provide. Good or bad ideas. PLEASE give me all the advice you can about this as this is the first turkey wild or tame I've every done.Thanks for all you advise and help in advance !!

Tim

Tiny Tim

Only advice I have for Wild Turkey is this:

Step 1:  Remove cap
Step 2:  Throw it as far as you can
Step 3:  Sip until gone

I know somebody will be by soon with an answer closer to what you are looking for. :)

cobra6223

;D.............LOL........ now for advice with wild turkey that used to fly and gobble !!!

OU812

Evenin Tim

First off I love the wild turkey both in the bottle and in the feathers.  ;D

Yes its gonna be a little dry due to the fact the wild ones havta work for there food and DO fly, witch makes them a little tougher than the cage raised birds.

BUT you can cook them up with good results.

First I would brine that bad boy.

This is the brine I use.

1 gallon distilled water (my well water is high on iron)
1 cup Morton Kosher salt
3/4 cup soy sauce (I like Kikkoman)
1/2 cup sugar (I use pure cane organic sugar)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup Honey (I use home grown)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tbl granulated garlic (I use Penzeys for all my spices)
2 Tbl + 1 tsp Mortons Tenderquick
1 tsp ground allspice

Mix all the ingredients but the Honey and TQ in a pot and heat to a boil stirring constantly, remove from heat and allow to cool below 140 F (I let sit till room temp) then mix in the Honey and TQ and place in the fridge over night.

In the morning stir up the brine and submerge the turkey and hold down with a heavy plate, 12 hr later rinse and allow to dry in the fridge over a drip pan uncovered 12 hr.

Now its time to smoke.

Smoke as hot as your smoker will get (I go for a cabnet temp of 250 F) turkey dont need low N slow, its too lean.

I give it 2 hr Apple (Alder or some other light wood would work too)

Then after the smoke time and seein it dont have any skin on it (bummer) I would wrap in in foil to finish cookin.

The foil will keep the meat from forming a tough outer layer (if it had the skin on it skip the foil)

When the IT hits 160 F pull outta the heat and let rest 15 to 20 min before carvin.

You got this, let us know how that bad boy turns out.

OU812

Oh Ya,,,,,,,,,,,save all them drinnpings from the foil, it makes some killer gravy.

Just pour the drippings in a dish and throw in the fridge (and let what fat there is in there come to the top) wile the bird is a restin then discard the fat and make you some gravy.

Gooood stuff!

cobra6223

hey Curt
THANKS for the help, I can't wait to try this, I I've been wanting to do a turkey and this guy gives me one about 22 lbs, man I tell ya I just love Christmas in April !!!! Thanks again Curt.

Tim

OU812

Cant wait to see how that bird turns out for ya.