• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Summer Sausage Question

Started by bundy, May 05, 2012, 04:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bundy

I found a summer sausage recipe on the "Sonoma Mountain Sausage " web site that sounds good but have a question.

It's a lot like others except after stuffing and drying in says to " Incubate at 80* for 48 hours, then cold heavy smoke for 3 hours after 24 hours. Then raise temp to 190* until IT is 160*.

Recipe has 1 tsp of cure ( Prague # 1 )

Does this all sound OK? 48 hours at 80*, can I do that in the Bradley????

Thanks

Keymaster

Your definately wise to question the "48 hours @ 80°F" !! I personally would not use that drying process but maybe someone else knows why someone would want to do that. Sounds like maybe someone tried to turn a dry fermented dausage recipe into a semi dry recipe by just switching cures and not drying procedures.

NePaSmoKer

Which one of his recipes are you looking at?

bundy

Len Poli's Sausage Making-Recipes and Formulations.

It's the " German Farmer -style Summer Sausage " He says he has tried them all ;D ;D ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: bundy on May 05, 2012, 09:17:15 AM
Len Poli's Sausage Making-Recipes and Formulations.

It's the " German Farmer -style Summer Sausage " He says he has tried them all ;D ;D ;D

Got it.

I have made this recipe before but used smaller 3" casings.

When he means to incubate, its more of a cure set. The dextrose, salt, cure will firm up the meat. You wont get the (tang) because there is no bactoferm, ECA or fermento additive in this recipe.

Its a good recipe but follow it to the letter, To much juniper berries and you wont eat it.

bundy

Thanks Rick, If I utilized normal recipe like yours but added the fermento and 2 TBLS of ECA could I do this his way? I did find another today that said " dry at 100* for 12 hours " then add cool smoke for 2 hours and then bump up to 170* until IT is 152*. I have it made and in the frig tonight, just wondering if I want to do something different or stick with what works.

Thanks Again

bundy

Forgot to mention, mine has jalapenos and high temp cheese in 2 1/2 " casings.