• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

going to New Orleans - restaurant suggestions

Started by GusRobin, May 05, 2012, 01:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Going to NO the week of 5/14 for work. Been there a few times and have gone to many of the "must go" restaurants. Any suggestions for some places off the tourist path?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

squirtthecat

Which ones have you been to?   Where ya staying?

GusRobin

staying at the westin --Acme, mother's drago, maximos, emril's, court of 2 sisters
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

hal4uk

Quote from: GusRobin on May 05, 2012, 03:26:40 PM
staying at the westin --Acme, mother's drago, maximos, emril's, court of 2 sisters
I like everything at Oceana.  (Ronbeaux turned us on to that place).
We ate there twice a few weeks ago when down there for the Final Four.

Meant to go to Court of Two Sisters, but didn't make it --- supposed to be awesome.

Had lunch at Johnny's (warning ---it's kind of a dump)... They make some great sammies.
Try the Surf N Turf sammie if you get by there.

We almost ate at Mother's...  But the line was out the door and way down the street.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

Head over to Cochon's.  The Chef/owner is Donald Link.  He smokes and cures all of the meats he serves.  Really really good food.

Also try GW Fin's for awesome seafood.

squirtthecat

Red Fish Grill
Ditto on Oceana.  They have a killer breakfast menu as well.
Gumbo Shop
The Old Coffee Pot (just down from the Gumbo shop if you can't get a table there)
Larry and I split a quarter muffaletta at the Napoleon House.  Quite tasty.

KyNola

If you're interested in white linen tablecloth upscale food and service, don't miss Mr. B's and Ralph's on the Park.  Both are incredible.  At Mr. B's ask to be seated in JC's section.  Fabulous waiter.

GusRobin

Quote from: squirtthecat on May 06, 2012, 07:07:23 AM

Ditto on Oceana.  They have a killer breakfast menu as well.

Yeah, I understand they picked up "Petunia's" menu when they went out of business. Petunia's was our favorite breakfast spot.

KyNola

There is a neat little place on Conti between Royal and Chartres Streets across the street from the Supreme Court building.  The name of the place is "Something Else".  It's not fancy, it's small but does have seating outside as well as inside.  The food there is really good and typical New Orleans fare at a decent price.  The Po Boy's there are freakin' huge.

squirtthecat

I was just about to recommend The Alpine on Chartres, but I see that they have moved to some steak and lobster joint on Bourbon street...    ???

sjmcdowall

Take a taxi and you MUST go to Jacque Imo's -- it's by favorite guaranteed go to place for people.  Order the aligator cheesecake for an appetizer !! Everything is really good --

Hints:  If you don't have 6 (and therefore can make a reservation) go EARLY .. 5.30 or 6.00 else expect a LONG wait .. it's worth it and part of the charm -- but not waiting is even better. 

I really like the work of John Besh --- Try his LUKE restaurant in the quarter (or drive to his premier restaurant La Provence ... )

Here is a Shared G Map of some of the places I have been and liked (or want to try):

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213807569515781733068.0004593b3ff8f5128ff32&msa=0

TomW

I may not know much about cooking, but I know lots about eating...

GusRobin

rexster

NOLA without a stop at K-Paul's is not a trip to NOLA. Ditto on the Alpine. Didn't know it had moved, but we've had some excellent and reasonably priced meals there in the past. Mr B's is a good choice. I didn't care much for the BBQ Shrimp dish, I make it at home using Prudhomme's recipe which I like much better, although quite a few tables were chowing down on it when we were there.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Ka Honu

I'm still full from the two weeks I spent in New Orleans for Jazz Fest.  The guys have you covered pretty well, especially Cochon (make a reservation or hope for a seat at the bar) and Jacques Imo's (go early or plan on drinking at the Maple Leaf next door while you wait).  If you go to K-Paul, don't go at lunch - it's a different set up and not that great.  If you like oysters on the half shell, Luke (on St. Charles just off Poydras) serves them for $.50 apiece, Mon-Fri from 3-6 PM (along with half-price draft house beers).  Willa Mae's Scotch House is excellent for fried chicken, as is Dookey Chase.  Coop's (Decatur, across from Margaritaville) is a great little neighborhood dive bar/grill.  Besh Steak in Harrah's is also good, especially the fried oysters.  Bon Ton Cafe (Magazine just off Poydras) also has good turtle soup to go with either the redfish or the crawfish trio.  Lil Dizzy's has great crawfsh bisque when they make it; their trout Baquet is also very good.