• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie Temp. Control Question --

Started by sjmcdowall, May 05, 2012, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjmcdowall

Hey gang -- my first "date" with my new Digital Bradley and I have a question.  I set the temp. control to 150 to season the tower, and it jumped up to 180 (according to the panel) -- and even now after an hour it's still at 165 (again, according to the panel).  Of course, there is no food in the unit -- it's seasoning.  However, makes me wonder what's going on?

Habenero -- I've seen you post a link to a FAQ that sort of (maybe) covers this, but I get a 404 error which I click it... So I tried to read more...

Thanks!

muebe

There are some temp swings with the DBS. That is normal. It is the way it works.

Once you start smoking food don't pay attention to the swings. Just put it in their and smoke to proper internal temperature. Everything will turn out good ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Ditto! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

Hi sjmcdowall;

The recipe site have been under attack since Friday. I'm not sure what the latest problem is, but I'm sure we'll be up and running soon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sjmcdowall

OK -- Being the OCD type person I am and wanting to improve everything -- I can't help but notice there are mods to the BDS for increasing temp. control and temp. recovery (namely, adding a PID and either 2nd element or 900W element).  For the 4-rack Digital Smoker -- what's the current thinking of the "best" PID and which way to go for the element?  I'm thinking a single 900W would be "easier" and "cleaner" .. but .. I don't know anything.  LOL :)

This seems like a good "summer" project -- when I'll start adding sausages, etc. to my repertoire of Charcuterie. 

BTW -- for me, "best" == most stable, easy to install, high quality ... $$ is general not an objection for something good...

I bet there is a FAQ on this -- but maybe on the broken web site.. :(

Q#2 -- What are "Bubba Pucks" and are they needed for a Digital unit?

Q#3 -- I will want to cold smoke ... is the Bradley Cold Smoke unit I see any good?

TIA!

/Steve

muebe

There are two plug-n-play PID models for the Bradley available.

Single probe....  http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=72

Dual probe... http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=151

And the 900w finned element I am using I got here... http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/TEMPCO-SS-Heater-2XEF3?Pid=search

Bubba pucks are used to help push all the wood pucks through the smoke generator. The smoke generator needs to use wood pucks to push the others along. These metal pucks replace those pusher pucks so when you load 3 wood pucks you get 1 hour of smoke.

The Bradley cold smoke unit is very good. But you can make your own as others have done. This allows you to locate the smoke generator heating element outside the cabinet so you can truly cold smoke. The smoke generator heating element can raise the cabinet temp to 120F by itself.
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

sjmcdowall

Thanks Muebe --

The bubbas seem like a good idea -- as well as the Bradley one.  I am sure I COULD make one, but again for about $70 (on some sites) easier to just get the official unit and use any DIY karma points for a curing / fermentation box setup at some point.  :)

Thanks for the info!

TedEbear

Quote from: sjmcdowall on May 06, 2012, 05:56:40 AM
Thanks Muebe --

The bubbas seem like a good idea -- as well as the Bradley one.  I am sure I COULD make one, but again for about $70 (on some sites) easier to just get the official unit and use any DIY karma points for a curing / fermentation box setup at some point.  :)

If you're DIY person you can save a lot of cash and get a single probe Auber PID controller that you install in either the SG or a project box.  Since you have the digital Bradley there probably isn't room in the SG to mount it, like there is with the OBS. 

You can also make your own pusher pucks out of thick-walled 2-inch pipe for a lot less than the ones you buy. Just cut them to a 1/2" height and bevel the edges so they slide easier.  Here's a whole thread on the subject:  Make Your Own Bubba Pucks

Here's the PID controller I have in my OBS:  Auber 1/16 DIN PID Temperature Controller (SSR control output)  The cost is around $45 plus a few accessories (K-type thermocouple, SSR, heatsink, optional project box).  Nice, clean install without a bunch of extra wires running all over the place.

GusRobin

I would:
1) buy the bubba pucks
2) I would not buy the Bradley cold smoke- I have one and it works good but it has some shortcomings. The front door is a tight fit for putting in the water bowl. I like using a larger aluminum pan in lieu of the bowl that comes with the Bradley. It holds more water and spent pucks. The bradley cold smoke doesn't  allow room for that. if I had to do it over i would make one, not for the money but for the reasons mentioned.
3) I like the dual elements for a number of reasons. I have them wired separately which a separate shutoff switch so I can use one or two. If one craps out I can use the other to complete my cook. (The 900 watt might be more reliable and therefore you may not have to worry, but I like the "backup"). My PID went out once when I was starting a long cook. Strongly recommend some type of controller when using either the 900 or second element. So I was able to manually use the second element to get to temp then shut it off  and just use one with the rest of the cook. Worked out great. There has been some discussion on needing a fan with the finned element(not sure if it is true or not).
I added the second element right after I need the initial seasoning and have never regretted it.
Just based on my experience, your mileage may vary.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

sjmcdowall

Well I'm 100 minutes into my first smoking experience and I will say, I'm a bit concerned about the heat recovery ability of my new BDS.  I preheated it to 225 (all I could wait for) and loaded 4 trays of brisket that I let sit for 1 hour at room temp.

100 minutes and the oven temp reads only 192.  It's set for 250 (and has been for 2 hours now).

Luckily I'm doing Pastrami and MSM -- which doesn't mind a cooler smoke, but still -- a bit disconcerting.

Am I over reacting?

Oh -- the ambient temp outside is 82F and it's out of the wind (hardly any wind anyway).

Cheers!

/SJM

mikecorn.1

That is a big load for the Bradley. Make sure and keep the vent open all The way. I would advise on not opening the door or to will loose a lot more heat. You can also hit them with smoke in the bradley and put a couple in the home oven to finish. That's what the Bradley is after the smoke cycle is done. The 500 watt element will struggle to keep the temps up with a large amount of meat in it. It's normal for the smoker.

Mike

muebe

SJM relax ;)

The temp sensor for the digital is located at the back upper part of the cabinet. As the meat comes up to temp that reading will start rising. The temp below the meat will be hot.

Plus you have four trays of brisket that are current absorbing the cabinet heat. Have a beer or two :)

sjmcdowall

Now that's great advice!  *pop* -- hmm... a nice brown ale!  Perfect Pastrami/MSM beer!!! 

I also had planned on finishing this in the oven w/ steam in any event -- so that's why I wasn't too worried.

*takes a deep cleansing breath*

ok -- I'm better!!

/Steve

sjmcdowall

Here are some pictures of the end result -- it's not PERFECT -- but it was damn tasty.  The trouble was texture -- it resembled more like texas brisket .. well .. not exactly that either. It was not falling apart juicy ... but was cooked to 180-185 in a water bath.  Going to try more tonight after 1 day rest .  But the taste was AWESOME.  Especially the montreal style smoked meat .

mikecorn.1

Looks good.

Mike