• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie Help

Started by gman2112, May 09, 2012, 04:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman2112

Hey guys, just purchase the digital four rack smoker, awesome results so far after only 2 smokes.
My question is, I am planning on smoking a 7-8 lb brisket.  I will start at midnight (or earlier) the night before and plan on smoking the entire next day.  My question is what happens at night when the unit smokes overnight, and continues to pass pucks.  Do I have to get up in the middle of the night to dispose of spent pucks.  Six hours might mean 18 pucks, I will have to dispose during the night won't I?
Thanks

mikecorn.1

Quote from: gman2112 on May 09, 2012, 04:34:36 PM
Hey guys, just purchase the digital four rack smoker, awesome results so far after only 2 smokes.
My question is, I am planning on smoking a 7-8 lb brisket.  I will start at midnight (or earlier) the night before and plan on smoking the entire next day.  My question is what happens at night when the unit smokes overnight, and continues to pass pucks.  Do I have to get up in the middle of the night to dispose of spent pucks.  Six hours might mean 18 pucks, I will have to dispose during the night won't I?
Thanks
I would go with 4 hours only and change out the small bowl for a 9x13 pan. It will hold more water and the pucks shouldnt stack up allowing grease to fall on them from the v tray drip hole. I usually will leave them in there but again I have a larger pan of water and it last longer. The 18 pucks are not gonna fit in the water bowl and you are gonna have to dispose of them so they dont stack up on ya. 3 pucks is one hour of smoke.
Mike

gman2112

Thanks, would a 9X13 last for 6-7 hours?

mikecorn.1

Sorry not 100% sure. I would go as long as you can can while your awake and the smoker is on. Right before your gonna hit the sack, fill it back up with hot water. I believe it should go 6 before empty. But please don't quote me on it ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

devo

No, the bucks will still have the possibility of stacking up. Six hours of smoke is way to much even for me and I like lots of smoke, just ask Mike he seen my pictures of smoke coming into my smoker from every possible side  ;D ;D ;D
The most I would do is 4 hours, that's plenty but even with that you should change the water. Good luck on your cook and we like pictures don't ya know 

mikecorn.1

Dontcha know, he ain't joking about al the smoke :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Alanfromwis

Recently smoked 9  2/3 lb brisket on a 4 rack digital that turned out fine. With only 7-8 lbs dosen't need as much time as a full load of about 40 lbs. Started mine about 5 am and it was done about 1pm. However it was a warm day with little wind. Smoked for 3 hours, but would try more next time. By all means use a digital  thermometer with probe cable  going through top vent.
  Happy smoking
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

beefmann

i would go with 3 hours of smoke and cook till an it of 185- 190...  higher if you  want it for  pulled

Kahunas

We prefer a lighter smoke and only go 2 hours. I also use a larger pan for water, that way it can go all night.
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.