• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Well damn I made bacon !!!

Started by destrouk, May 15, 2012, 11:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

destrouk

Here is what I did

Brine
2 ltrs of water , 2ltrs of apple juice , 2 cups of kosher salt , 600mls of Molasses ( spelling ) , 1 cup of sugar and then 1 cup of maple ..
Please note Bacon was not sweet or to salty

10lbs of pork belly

..ok side note here folks I have done it with and without the skin ..I would say leave it on and here is a trick take the skin off after you have smoked it and its resting . Its a lot easier BUT LEAVE IT ON THE BACON !!!!!!!!! trust me on this it helps retain flavor moisture etc ..
Bacon in the brine bags

Ok here is what I did every morning I would flip my bacon and sing it a song LOL ..hey its bacon we all love it LOL . I did this for 7 days you are on 5 but 7 if you can , by the way I kept it in the fridge !
so after its been in the brine it will have a nice colour and you will be super excited by your love of bacon !!!

ok so let that happy wee bit of bacon chill in the fridge for at least a day ..give it a rinse first !!!!!!!!

now get yer smoker pumping smoke I went with maple 1 hour then apple the next and did this for 5 hours dont go to hot !!!!

Take that sucker out check the IT for 150

Now take off the skin as said before and let that wonderful thing chill then pop it in the fridge ..I then sliced and vacum packed mine .

now I have head people asking about double smoked bacon and is 4 hours enough .
first off 4 hours is plenty everyone who has taken the bacon has said that the house smells of the smoke after .
Double smoke UK method is to do a 3 hour cold smoke after the meat has chilled .

thats it thats all my wife calls me the Baconator now...I am also making a hot sauce bacon will keep u posted ...

destrouk

SouthernSmoked

Dude that all looks good! Nice job!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

KyNola

Good looking stuff.  I assume you used the 2 cups of kosher salt in lieu of any type of curing agent?

sjmcdowall

I was surprised by the lack of any curing agent too -- so this is a nitrate free bacon?  Cool!

destrouk

100 % niterate free !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

destrouk

After I read up on the pink salt etc and found out how deadly it can be I went with kosher salt ... ;D

destrouk

Quote from: sjmcdowall on May 15, 2012, 02:52:18 PM
I was surprised by the lack of any curing agent too -- so this is a nitrate free bacon?  Cool!

Sure is
a rule of thumb with doing it this way is as my grandad said "The length of time its in the brine is how long its ok in the fridge without frezzing !!"

Keymaster

Nice job !! Thanks for the great pictures, You look like a hoot to be around :)

destrouk

Quote from: Keymaster on May 15, 2012, 04:23:57 PM
Nice job !! Thanks for the great pictures, You look like a hoot to be around :)

My Mrs says deranged !!! LOL ..I am kinda hyper !!

KyNola

Quote from: sjmcdowall on May 15, 2012, 02:52:18 PM
Guys, that would be Nitrite, not Nitrate.  Nitrate is used for long term dry curing like salami, etc.

Used correctly both Nitrite and Nitrate are safe.  Next time you go to the grocery and see Nitrite free cured bacon or organic cured bacon, check the ingredients list and see if you find celery powder.  It is a form of Nitrite. :o

NePaSmoKer

What Ky said.

I would not make bacon without cure............Trust me

Habanero Smoker

I haven't calculated your salt, but making bacon without nitrites is alright with the proper amount of salt in your wet brine. I have made Alton Brown's Iron Chef's Bacon. If I recall the recipe correctly, the recipe is very similar to yours, and I just don't like the flavor. It is more like cooking fresh belly; which I do like on occasions. Salt cured bacon lacks the "bacon" flavor that nitrites bring to the meat, and the color.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

destrouk

Well the bacon taste like good old smoked bacon the smoke and the fact that the temp is at 150 IT kills what you are worried about ...Then the fact that it is vacum packed also ..try it before you say its not going to taste like this and that .. Because to be honest unless you make it and eat it how can you tell me it doesn't taste like bacon ?????

destrouk

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 15, 2012, 08:04:17 PM
What Ky said.

I would not make bacon without cure............Trust me

its salted the old fashioned way ..then smoked ..then vacum packed then frozen then cooked to eat ... at what point do you think you will get the nasty attack????? .. trust me when i say you wont