hopeful first smoke this weekend

Started by hutcho, May 15, 2012, 11:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutcho

OK I am new to this site and fairly new to smoking.  we had a homemade smoker me and my dad and brother built years ago that I am familiar with and have used quite a bit, and my dad bought a Bradley and I fell in love with it.  SO much simpler!!!! So hopefully if nothing happens to change it I will be picking up a lightly used 6 rack digital with around 90 pucks of hickory this weekending.

so now the questions begin.  If all works out and I can get someone to help watch the baby Saturday I will probably try my hand at making some ribs, I think it was 10.5 that had a really good post on that?

Sunday I will for sure have help watching him so I plan on doing a pork butt.  A very small one and probably start it at around 6 or so.  Plan on using mustard and then coating with the infamous Jan's rub.   Now here is where it gets tricky.  Since I'm used to the big smoker when I fire one of these things up I feel the need to pack it full.  So I was planning on doing a rack on these blazing nuts I keep hearing tell of.  Saved a recipe somewhere....Also I would like to toss some jalepenos stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in Bacon on there just for snacking and probably a rack or two of peppers to make chipotle powder with(if I can find my dehydrator).

OK now for the questions.  I planned on setting the heat around 220*.  Kicking smoke on for 4hrs, put the nuts in for the 11/2hrs of smoke and keep them on after the smoke for another 11/2-21/2hrs and pull em.  The japs for chipotle I figured the full 4hrs cut in half then pull em and put them on the dehydrator for 24-36 hrs.  Not sure how long on the Bacon wrapped ones.  Pull the pork when it hits 200* IT

Does this all sound about right?  Also looking at buying a cheapo wireless thermometer from Wally world til I can research and get a nice one online somewhere.  I have my good handheld probe for grilling to double check with.  And lastly what is the deal with the recipe site? I keep trying to go there and it keeps saying forbidden or something.

Thank you guys for all your help and sorry for such a long first post!

devo

WoW you really like multitasking  :o
Seems like everything will work out except I'm not sure on the japs for chipotle being in such high heat for 4 hours. Your trying to dry them out not cook them. You might be better off just going with the dehydrator with those.
The recipe site got attacked by hackers and they are trying to rebuild it so I heard. Hopefully it will be back up soon.

Oh and welcome to a great site and great bunch of crazy ass people.

hutcho

mostly just a bunch of stuff I wanna try, I'm sure it will lessen when the new wears off....although I have been reading quite a bit and know that's not true LOL!

I may just pass on doing the chipotle for now, may try and do some cheese later, could I just throw the japs in with the cheese and cold smoke em then dehydrate.

really sucks about the recipe site, is their a good alternative until it is resolved?

muebe

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your gently used six rack ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Welcome aboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

rsherman24

Welcome.  Can't wait to see how your first weekend goes

KyNola

Welcome.  First, the recipe site is back up again. www.susanminor.org Your plan will work but I agree with Devo.  The japs you want to use for chipotle really don't need to be exposed to such high heat.  That makes your load on Sunday to be a pork butt(place it below the rest of the racks), stuffed japs, also known as ABT's around here and Blazin' Pistachios.  Two things I thought of immediately.  You need to know that the larger the load you have  in a Bradley, the longer it will take for the temp to rise to your target temp.  Also, every time you open the door to the Bradley, you will lose a ton of heat and the temp will take time to recover. You are going to be opening and closing the door numerous times to put the initial load in, take the nuts out, take the japs out, emptying and refilling the water bowl, etc.  Try to minimize the number of times you have to fan the door on the Bradley.  Also, remember that the max time you can set on the Bradley tower is 9 hours and 40 minutes.  If you don't reset it before it reaches the 9h 40 m mark, it will shut off.

Many of us here use the Maverick ET-732 dual probe wireless remote thermometer.  It has two probes, one to monitor the meat temp and one to monitor the tower temp.  It is wireless and transmits the info to a wireless receiver.

Have fun and let us know if we can help with any questions.

hutcho

throwing the pork on in a couple hours, got some cheese going right now, anyway what temp am I shooting for? my thermometer I got(temporary) says well done on pork is 170 but I thought I read somewhere it was 200....

KyNola

190-200 for pulled pork although some folks will pull it at a lower temp, as low as 175.  Over time I have learned I prefer the higher temps.  Personal choice.

GusRobin

Quote from: hutcho on May 19, 2012, 08:25:57 PM
throwing the pork on in a couple hours, got some cheese going right now, anyway what temp am I shooting for? my thermometer I got(temporary) says well done on pork is 170 but I thought I read somewhere it was 200....
I look at the well done at 170* is if you want a pork roast. If you want pulled pork then I would go to 190* to 200*
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

If you are smoking/cooking at 200°F and learn the proper technique, you can have great pulled pork at 175°F. I learned this after making many butts at a much high temperature, and found there is no need to. The texture and moistness suit me better, and I don't FTC.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

hutcho

everything turned out AMAZING! Just had some leftovers for lunch...and I know how everyone likes pictures so here goes

round one of cheese
Round 2 of cheese
pork butt before smoking
shredded butt
jalopenos

Also did some blazing peanuts and some baked beans but pictures dont really do them justice...anyway I am completely hooked and am planning on doing some more next weekend...anyone have a recipe for a fatty?  I saw that somewhere and it looks kinda fun to try...