• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Maybe a stupid question

Started by destrouk, May 17, 2012, 07:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

destrouk

There are no cedar pucks ..so can i just soak cedar and pop it onto the puck element and then just push it into the water by hand ..do i soak them first or do i just soak some planks and pop em real close to the cab heater  help please also has anyone used seaweed for fish at all .. im sure all this has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer using the search .. im going to try seaweed on the bottom and top rack and put crab in the middle .Im the thinking precooked crab and a short smoke would work

squirtthecat

You can put any kind of wood chips directly on the heating element.   Just set a timer and go back and scrape them into the water bowl with a long spoon when they stop smouldering.  I've used cooking pellets when I didn't have any Hickory pucks.

And watch your hands/fingers doing that.   There isn't a lot of real estate for maneuvering.   (think 'ouch')

Don't soak them...

NePaSmoKer

Or just buy an AMZNPS and use whatever kinds of pellets you want.

KyNola

Not sure I would want to smoke something long term with cedar.  Cedar has a lot of oil in it that will quickly make your fish bitter.  Pretty much all evergreen type trees have the high concentrate of oil.  I assume you're thinking toward the fish that is grilled on a cedar plank.  That's actually a pretty short term cook and the planks are water soaked first as opposed to smoking something with cedar for a couple hours or so.

My guess is that is why you can't find any type of evergreen puck or pellet.

Just my personal opinion, so have at it if you're so inclined.

NePaSmoKer

Ditto what Ky said

Mom always sed yu was the smrtr one  :o

destrouk

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 17, 2012, 07:59:34 AM
Or just buy an AMZNPS and use whatever kinds of pellets you want.

did these go on the element first then fall into that ???? I have no idea what AMZNPS is by the way LOL

destrouk

Quote from: KyNola on May 17, 2012, 08:25:33 AM
Not sure I would want to smoke something long term with cedar.  Cedar has a lot of oil in it that will quickly make your fish bitter.  Pretty much all evergreen type trees have the high concentrate of oil.  I assume you're thinking toward the fish that is grilled on a cedar plank.  That's actually a pretty short term cook and the planks are water soaked first as opposed to smoking something with cedar for a couple hours or so.

you hit the nail on the head ive done lots of salmon on a cedar plank ..and i didnt know about the oil  makes perfect sense Thanks mate !!

KyNola

Quote from: destrouk on May 17, 2012, 09:09:56 AM
Quote from: KyNola on May 17, 2012, 08:25:33 AM
you hit the nail on the head ive done lots of salmon on a cedar plank ..and i didnt know about the oil  makes perfect sense Thanks mate !!
The oil in the evergreen wood is why they tell you never to burn evergreen wood in a fireplace.  Huge creosote build up in the chimney and big danger of a chimney fire.

As for the AMZNPS, it is a pellet burner that you fill with pellets and light one end of it.  The pellets will smoke and follow the trail of pellets.  It provides no heat source, just smoke.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

destrouk

He is smurt ..LOL ... thanks again for the help mate !

destrouk

ok anouther stupid question Ive seen a lot of super clean Bradleys ..I was under the impression that clean = bad and should be nice and dark from smoke etc on the inside so it would be seasoned ..yet again im sure this has been discussed but any help would be awesome  :)

RossP

OK so now it is time to meet for an adult beverage or two and talk about t he world of Bradley, heck you only live 15-20 minutes away we should be able to find a suitable place for a brew. But the answer to your last question is let the inside get nice and dark, I only clean up any spills on the boottom, the door gasket and sealing surface the outside and the removable parts racks, drip tray water bowl.
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Kahunas

Quote from: destrouk on May 17, 2012, 12:43:41 PM
ok anouther stupid question Ive seen a lot of super clean Bradleys ..I was under the impression that clean = bad and should be nice and dark from smoke etc on the inside so it would be seasoned ..yet again im sure this has been discussed but any help would be awesome  :)
Clean and shiny = bad
Black and loved = good
Excess black and build up = fire
Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Kahunas on May 17, 2012, 01:48:09 PM
Quote from: destrouk on May 17, 2012, 12:43:41 PM
Clean and shiny = bad
Black and loved = good
Excess black and build up = fire <------Thats not always true

destrouk

Quote from: RossP on May 17, 2012, 01:47:44 PM
OK so now it is time to meet for an adult beverage or two and talk about t he world of Bradley, heck you only live 15-20 minutes away we should be able to find a suitable place for a brew. But the answer to your last question is let the inside get nice and dark, I only clean up any spills on the boottom, the door gasket and sealing surface the outside and the removable parts racks, drip tray water bowl.

ok done and thats what I thought I have been looking at some pics people have taken of food etc being smoked and holy heck there is a lot of super clean ones thanks I thought I was right ..and when do yer think ???for beeeeeers lol add me to crack book if yer want tim oakman

NePaSmoKer

Here is a well smoked Bradley=Never a fire  ;D