• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Garlic Knockers or garlic Knockwurst

Started by viper125, May 19, 2012, 07:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Well with the wife sick so she couldn't help decided to turn my Knockers in to Logs. Hard to stuff smaller casing with one person but I did the bigger ones and done real well. So I'll slice for sandwiches and crackers and cheese.The wife loves this stuff and says the best meat she ever ate.  Any way here goes.

First the players with out the meat and ice water.

Love my new mixer/emulsifier From pikeman. But found a 18 volt cordless is a little wimpy to run it with really cold meat. never the less I made it work. Now looking for a larger drill.

This is a close up of it emulsified. If my drill had been better I would have gone a little longer. Seperated batches to about 4-5 lbs and it worked a lot better.

Sauseage going in to smoker.

Sausage out and blooming for 3 hours then into refrigerator.

Time to check it out

Money shot!

Well love my mixer Thank you Pikeman!  Now since this was a late start yesterday and I don't sleep and smoke. I took it out at 2:30 am and cooled till around 5 before refrigerating. Went to bed for 2 hours and now Im up. Got to slice,Package,and share some. Then work in the garden. So a couple more cups of coffee and I'm out of here. LOL

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Keymaster

Looks Excellent!! Hope the wife gets better, that Pnuemonia aint nothin to mess around with.

mikecorn.1

Looking real good Paul. Hope the wife gets to feeling better :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

viper125

Thanks Mike and Key master! Yes it isnt as bad as made out. We get it a lot. Especially me. Ive had it about 12 times this year. It's the curse of the old and sick for sure. And they say my lungs are like a 90 year old. Curse of working for a living the hard way,shops ,foundrys,etc. Smell to many chemicals and eat to much sand.
But the knockwurst is the best yet. I stepped up the recipe a little.
Inside setup.

pikeman_95

Paul
I am glad you liked the mixer. I think I mentioned that the chordless drill would not cut it. When you do find a drill make sure it is corded with the RPM's that are high enough to get a good slicing action. If you are close to a Harbor freight tool store here is a link to one I have and for the money I think it would work well enough for what you need.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html

Even if it was not emulsified as much as you wished I think that the sausage you made looks as good as I have seen anywhere. I bet it taste as good as it looks. I hope you wife feels better. I have problems with pneumonia myself. I get it 2-3 times a year. I have worked over 40 years at a chemical plant and during our younger years we had some very strong exposures. Keep making some great looking sausage and enjoy your mixer.
Kirby

viper125

Sorry Pikeman I didn't mean you didn't. i forget a lot and for got the drill so I used my cordless. Really did a fine job but I know a bigger one would be quicker and probably finer. Thanks for the compliments,coming from you I consider that quite a honor. Yes my Wife is like the rest of us. Got to be sure before going to the doctor..in the mean time it gets harder to treat. But pretty common here too! She also worked in a few places that were bad. Some times I think the working men are the fools! And 4th and 5th generation welfare and other public help that some abuse for years is the way to go....but then I wake up. Couldnt do that, no way, born to pull my weight. Maybe not the smartest thing but at least I can still use a mirror to shave. LOL
Inside setup.

viper125

Well not sure if any one wants to try it or not but here is my finale recipe my way.
Viper1
German Garlic Knockers. Knockwurst, Knackwurst which ever
you call it. They are great.
Knockwurst is almost always made as a short and fat sausage
with zesty seasoning. Typically, traditional recipes feature
large amounts of fresh garlic.

Also this is another one of those sausage varieties that is usually
made commercially with emulsified meat.
A very good home version can be made with multiple passes through
the sausage grinder but...

...If you want to go to the added trouble, you can do a good job
emulsifying small batches in a food processor.

Or a Kirby Mixer like I got am dieing to use. Ok the far left 5lb version
is what the recipe called for I broke it down to  1 lb for easy conversion.
I had 10 lbs of beef and 4 lbs of grd pork. So that's what im using is the
14 lb version. I did take some libertys and rounded off. I will probably
slip on the Garlic and may add extra too as we love garlic.

5lb    Batch                                                                                     1 lb.     Batch                                                     14lb batch
3.5 lb Beef burger                                                                    11.2 oz    Beef                                          10 lbs Beef burger
1.5 lb Porkbutt ground                                                             4.8 oz.     Pork                                            4 lbs GRD. Pork Butt
1 cup NFmilk                                                                             1.6 oz. per lb.                                            22.4 oz.
2 Tbl +2 tsp Koser salt                                                             1.6 tsp per lb.                                            7 TBS 3/4 tsp
1TBl paprika                                                                               .6 tsp per lb.                                            2 TBS 2 1/2tsp
3 TBL black or white pepper                                                     1.8 tsp per lb.                                            8TBS + 1/2 tsp       
1/2 tsp Coriander                                                                       .1 tsp per lb.                                             3  Tbs
2 tsp mace                                                                                  .4 tsp per lb.                                             5 1/2 tsp 
6lrg clove garlic or 1.5 tsp granulated                                         .3 tsb per lb.                                             4 1/4 tsp                                     
1/2 tsp all spice                                                                           .1 tsp per lb.                                             1 1/2 tsp
1 tsp cure #1                                                                             1   tsp per 5 lb.                                           2 3/4  tsp
1 cup ice water                                                                          1.6 oz  per lb.                                            22.4 oz

Trim the pork and beef, cut it into 1 inch cubes, and grind it several
times (at lest twice) through the fine plate of your meat grinder.
Combine the spices and garlic and cure in a 1 quart container and mix with the
1 cup of ice water.
Pour the spice and water combination into the ground pork and mix
thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure
even distribution.
Add the  milk powder to the sausage and mix until it is well
incorporated. At this time you can pass the sausage mixture one more
time through the grinder if you want to.
Once the sausage is fully mixed, stuff it into 38-42 mm hog casings and
ready the sausage for the smoker. Make short links, 3 to 4 inches in
length.Or put in larger casings 3-5 inch as I did to slice.
Enjoy
Inside setup.

SiFumar

Looks like I'm going to have to try this one!  I like the bigger size.  They do look good!

viper125

Well no Buns,Swiss cheese or sauerkraut!I'm hungry for a sammy! So got some White bread, Knockwurst thickly sliced, Some Hot Horse Radish and Pepper cheese, and some Dijon Mustard! Wow!  This is really Great! Gave about  6-8 lbs out and every body loves it. Not one suggestion on changing it. Also the extra spices worked great. Mustard on thick! That cheese Is a smoked one I bought  from the Amish. Never heard of or tried it. It is awesome! Hot and horsey strong. Never seen a product this hot sold any where.

Inside setup.

ghost9mm

Super Job my friend, it looks wonderful...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

pikeman_95

Quote from: viper125 on May 19, 2012, 03:58:26 PM
Well not sure if any one wants to try it or not but here is my finale recipe my way.
Viper1
German Garlic Knockers. Knockwurst, Knackwurst which ever
you call it. They are great.
Knockwurst is almost always made as a short and fat sausage
with zesty seasoning. Typically, traditional recipes feature
large amounts of fresh garlic.

Also this is another one of those sausage varieties that is usually
made commercially with emulsified meat.
A very good home version can be made with multiple passes through
the sausage grinder but...

...If you want to go to the added trouble, you can do a good job
emulsifying small batches in a food processor.

Or a Kirby Mixer like I got am dieing to use. Ok the far left 5lb version
is what the recipe called for I broke it down to  1 lb for easy conversion.
I had 10 lbs of beef and 4 lbs of grd pork. So that's what im using is the
14 lb version. I did take some libertys and rounded off. I will probably
slip on the Garlic and may add extra too as we love garlic.

5lb                                             1 lb.                             14lb
3.5 lb Beef burger                                                                    11.2 oz                                                    10 lbs Beef burger
1.5 lb Porkbutt ground                                                             4.8 oz.                                                      4 lbs GRD. Pork Butt
1 cup NFmilk                                                                             1.6 oz. per lb.                                            22.4 oz.
2 Tbl +2 tsp Koser salt                                                             1.6 tsp per lb.                                            7 TBS 3/4 tsp
1TBl paprika                                                                               .6 tsp per lb.                                            2 TBS 2 1/2tsp
3 TBL black or white pepper                                                     1.8 tsp per lb.                                            8TBS + 1/2 tsp       
1/2 tsp Coriander                                                                       .1 tsp per lb.                                             3  Tbs
2 tsp mace                                                                                  .4 tsp per lb.                                             5 1/2 tsp 
6lrg clove garlic or 1.5 tsp granulated                                         .3 tsb per lb.                                             4 1/4 tsp                                     
1/2 tsp all spice                                                                           .1 tsp per lb.                                             1 1/2 tsp
1 tsp cure #1                                                                             1   tsp per 5 lb.                                           2 3/4  tsp
1 cup ice water                                                                          1.6 oz  per lb.                                            22.4 oz

Trim the pork and beef, cut it into 1 inch cubes, and grind it several
times (at lest twice) through the fine plate of your meat grinder.
Combine the spices and garlic and cure in a 1 quart container and mix with the
1 cup of ice water.
Pour the spice and water combination into the ground pork and mix
thoroughly for at least 2 minutes. Use your hands for mixing to assure
even distribution.
Add the  milk powder to the sausage and mix until it is well
incorporated. At this time you can pass the sausage mixture one more
time through the grinder if you want to.
Once the sausage is fully mixed, stuff it into 38-42 mm hog casings and
ready the sausage for the smoker. Make short links, 3 to 4 inches in
length.Or put in larger casings 3-5 inch as I did to slice.
Enjoy

Paul
I have been having a little problem figuring out your recipe. Do you have it on a excel sheet that you could send it to me to my personal email account. If you copied this from one it kind of screws it up.
Kirby

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

viper125

Not sure what you mean. Are they confusing or measurements arent lined up or what. Is there a better format? Sent you both a pm with copy may be that would be easier.  Only thing I did is the first column was a 5lb batch the second column is it broke down into a 1 lb batch for conversion sake. The last column is the 14 lb batch I made. But probably shouldn't have included it. If its still not right let me know.

Inside setup.