• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Heat shield position

Started by smitttykid, May 20, 2012, 06:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitttykid

I just took apart the heat shield and the grillwork over the heating element to clean them.  This may seem like a dumb question- but could someone post a pic of the proper position of the heat shield?  I have the grid and the heat shield cleaned & installed, but when I stand there and look at it-it doesn't look right.  We are heading back to Pa. for the Summmer, so I won't be using this OBS till Nov.  I just wanted to give it a good cleaning before we left.  The owner's manual isn't much help.  Thanks a million.  p.s. so I won't go through smoking withdrawl this Summer, I have a new OBS waiting for me in PA.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: smitttykid on May 20, 2012, 06:41:24 AM
I just took apart the heat shield and the grillwork over the heating element to clean them.  This may seem like a dumb question- but could someone post a pic of the proper position of the heat shield?  I have the grid and the heat shield cleaned & installed, but when I stand there and look at it-it doesn't look right.  We are heading back to Pa. for the Summmer, so I won't be using this OBS till Nov.  I just wanted to give it a good cleaning before we left.  The owner's manual isn't much help.  Thanks a million.  p.s. so I won't go through smoking withdrawl this Summer, I have a new OBS waiting for me in PA.

GusRobin

We supposed to clean this stuff? ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: GusRobin on May 20, 2012, 07:26:07 AM
We supposed to clean this stuff? ;D

;D

Looks like i missed the cleaning class 101

viper125

I don't touch those! And never bothered putting the grill back on after doing the dual mod. Cant see a use in them.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

smitttykid

Thanks NePa Smoker,  looks like I did install it properly.  I was a litle concerned about a fire hazard as the shield had quite a bit of crud built up on it.  I used that DAWN super duty cleaner and it works great!  Thanks guys.  Smitty

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: smitttykid on May 20, 2012, 12:26:38 PM
Thanks NePa Smoker,  looks like I did install it properly.  I was a litle concerned about a fire hazard as the shield had quite a bit of crud built up on it.  I used that DAWN super duty cleaner and it works great!  Thanks guys.  Smitty

I also find if I let stuff build up too much, it tends to depart a slight burnt taste in my food. Butts and brisket I don't pick up that taste as much, but when I make bacon, smoke loins, salmon etc, that taste is there, if I don't clean the drip tray.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Quote from: viper125 on May 20, 2012, 12:17:26 PM
I don't touch those! And never bothered putting the grill back on after doing the dual mod. Cant see a use in them.
Ditto. I didnt  do it on purpose, I plain forgot to put it back. ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

viper125

I do was the v tray,the bowl, and the racks after each smoke. So mine don't get bad. I'm concerned why or how the shield on your element gets dirty. If fat,meat or grease of any kind builds up there you are messing up. That will start a grease fire. The only way I know it could happen if meat touches back or side walls. And that is a big no no. I have a cookie sheet in the bottom of mine and I have the water pan on it. And never get grease there from smoking.. Also nothing on elements ,cage or shield.     just saying, Keep hearing of fires.
Inside setup.

TedEbear

I put cages over both of my elements.  I figure it helps to protect them a bit and the original one came with one for a reason.

viper125

Quote from: TedEbear on May 20, 2012, 06:37:21 PM
I put cages over both of my elements.  I figure it helps to protect them a bit and the original one came with one for a reason.

LOL im waiting to hear that reason. The cage is light weight so it wont stop much and the holes are big enough for meat or what ever to enter. I simply prefer to be careful and not drop any thing on it. Probably break them any way. Just my opinion. I have a couple here if any body needs one.
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: TedEbear on May 20, 2012, 06:37:21 PM

Some time back Brian stated the cage was to prevent meat from coming into contact with the element. With the drip tray in place, that doesn't seem logical. Though he didn't specify what type of meat. He could have been referring to the meat at the tip of one's finger.  :)

The older Bradley's (at least 7 years old) came with a glass element and I feel the cage was to protect the glass from being struck. Why they continue to include the cage I don't know, but for the metal elements I wouldn't think they need protection.

I forgot to mention, I removed my cage when I added the second element.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

That makes sense, i could see it with a glass element. But still got to watch meat and fat dont get on their. Mine is still clean after all the smokes i did. Mostly black colored but clean of meat and fat.
Inside setup.