• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

just got my regular smoker 3 questions

Started by oceansend, May 20, 2012, 09:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oceansend

going to try the 3-2-1 rib and 2lbs of wings

1. both directions say to set the temp at 225F, that means I won't start to load the biscuits until the temp reaches 225 correct? or do I start the smoking process as soon as the smoker starts to warm up?

2. if 4hrs is the max you should smoke, is there a difference if I finish off whatever I'm cooking in the oven vs Bradley?

3. I have seen a lot of pictures with ppl putting a theromoeter through the vent holes, do you leave it hanging or do you put it in the meat your cooking?

KyNola

Welcome to the Forum!

1.  Load the pucks when you are at 225 but turn the smoke generator on with no pucks to aid in the heating process.

2. No, once you have applied smoke to whatever you are cooking, the Bradley is nothing more than an Easy Bake oven that cooks with the equivalent of 5 100 watt lightbulbs.  I have finished meats many time in the oven, particularly if I have am having problems reaching or maintaining cooking temps.  You may not need 4 hours of smoke on ribs or chickens.  Go with less and say "that didn't have enough smoke to suit me" and up the smoking time next time.  You can't take smoke out of anything.

3. Both.  One probe measures the cooking temp.  The other probe measures the internal temp of the meat.  Would suggest the Maverick ET-732.  For ribs, you know when they are done when the meat slips back and exposes the bone about a half inch or so.  I find you really can't probe a rib for doneness.

Good luck and let us know how we can help.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: oceansend on May 20, 2012, 09:49:19 AM
going to try the 3-2-1 rib and 2lbs of wings

1. both directions say to set the temp at 225F, that means I won't start to load the biscuits until the temp reaches 225 correct? or do I start the smoking process as soon as the smoker starts to warm up?

2. if 4hrs is the max you should smoke, is there a difference if I finish off whatever I'm cooking in the oven vs Bradley?

3. I have seen a lot of pictures with ppl putting a theromoeter through the vent holes, do you leave it hanging or do you put it in the meat your cooking?

1. Pre-heat as high as you can with the smoke generator on. Once your ready, put the meat in and advance the pucks till the first one is at the end of the
Slide. This allows the burner to be nice and hot when the first one hits it.

2. Yes you can finish in the house.

3. If you can a dual probe, you can leave the oven probe hanging or use the clip provided and the meat probe should be inserted in the meat. Ribs don't need to be probe. Look for the meat to have pulled back up from the
Ends.

Edit: Larry beat me to it. ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Salmonsmoker

Welcome to the forum oceansend.  I had your questions answered and then found that Kynola beat me to the punch, so.....what Ky said. ;D
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

viper125

1. I preheat smoker to 225 degrees then add meat and turn on smoker.
2. I only do ribs,butts or ham type things in four of more hours. 2-3 for most other meats
3. If its a single in the meat. If a dual then one in meat and one in smoker for temps.

I have the dual heating element also so when done smoking I turn smoke generator off  because I don't require it.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.