• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

pork butt

Started by mez, May 20, 2012, 10:48:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mez

Just wondering if 190 IT is enough or if I need to get it to 195 got people coming to eat in an hour.7.5 pounder been in there for almost 17 hours.

muebe

You can pull it at 190F
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mez

Thanks I pulled it at 192 I want some FTC time for it before everyone gets here.I'll try and remember to take pics for yall.

mr5150

Where do most people put the temp probe in the middle or closer to the end?
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker
Napoleon Prestige II Gourmet Grill

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: mr5150 on May 20, 2012, 11:19:10 AM
Where do most people put the temp probe in the middle or closer to the end?

The thickest part of the butt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Also, make sure the probe isn't touching the bone.

Wildcat

And not in a fat pocket!
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

mez

It took 17 hours but was worth the wait.I injected it withCT and rubbed it with jan's rub.It came out very tasty and moist.Even though it didn't need it I made a batch of 10.5's sauce to top off the sammies. Only pic I got sorry to many hungry people drolling over my shoulder   [/img]

destrouk

nice mate what was the cooking temp at ?? i normally have 10lbs done in 12 is why I ask

mikecorn.1

That turned out looking good. I bet its delicious.
Mike

mez

Quote from: destrouk on May 22, 2012, 07:32:28 AM
nice mate what was the cooking temp at ?? i normally have 10lbs done in 12 is why I ask
Cooked it at 220-230 but I had a lot of temp swings guess I need to get a PID hopefully that will help.

Habanero Smoker

The type of temperature swings you are experiencing are not going to have an impact on the final out come of butts, briskets, or roasts. They will all turn out fine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

destrouk

Quote from: mez on May 22, 2012, 12:56:49 PM
Quote from: destrouk on May 22, 2012, 07:32:28 AM
Cooked it at 220-230 but I had a lot of temp swings guess I need to get a PID hopefully that will help.

wow odd mine 12 hours at 200 and its done Bone in ( not sure if that makes a diff to cooking times )

KyNola

Tim, have you done more than one 10 lb butt at 200 and it get finished in 12 hours?  If so, that sounds a bit odd to me.  What are you measuring temps in the Bradley and the IT of the meat with?  What IT are you considering the butt done?

I'm not being critical at all.  It just is contrary to what I have come to expect when cooking a butt.  Especially a larger one like a 10 pounder at a particularly low temp of 200.

Wildcat

Quote from: KyNola on May 22, 2012, 02:12:59 PM
Tim, have you done more than one 10 lb butt at 200 and it get finished in 12 hours?  If so, that sounds a but odd to me.  What are you measuring temps in the Bradley and the IT of the meat with?  What IT are you considering the butt done?

I'm not being critical at all.  It just is contrary to what I have come to expect when cooking a butt.  Especially a larger one like a 10 pounder at a particularly low temp of 200.

Ditto. It takes me 18 to 24 hours smoking/cooking at an average of 205. Do you have an extra heating element installed in yours?
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/