• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork shoulder idea

Started by Paddlinpaul, May 20, 2012, 01:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddlinpaul

Hi everyone. Long time no post for me. Following things on Facebook a bit but haven't dropped in here for a while.

I am smoking a whole pork shoulder next weekend for a birthday party at a friend's house. I have done a few before to rave reviews but am always wanting to try something new. Last big do I did one I tried different sauces and the Carolina Treet seemed to be the most popular. I was told to go real easy with it because it is a strong flavor. Would it be to much to inject it in the meat with the Treet the night before smoking?
I usually cut the shoulder in 2 (butt and picnic), rub it down and put on separate racks in the Bradley. I smoke 4-6 hours and then cook to an IT of 190 at 210-225F.
If injecting would be too much with the Treet, what is the best way to use it. While smoking or splash it on after pulling?
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

mikecorn.1

I've only used it once on a butt, I injected it.
IMHO I think that putting it in after pulling might be a bit strong and kill your smoke butt flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Ka Honu

Carolina Treet is NOT a dipping sauce; it's designed to be cooked.  Injection works very well - when I'm using it for a butt, I inject and rub the night before.

pensrock

I have injected pork butts with it before and its real good.

ghost9mm

Quote from: pensrock on May 20, 2012, 05:42:39 PM
I have injected pork butts with it before and its real good.

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Paddlinpaul

Thanks folks. Injecting it will be. I will also rub it with it instead of dry rubbing.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!