• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First CBB

Started by JZ, May 20, 2012, 07:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Here's a pic of my first Canadian Bacon using the Morton's recipe.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/JZ-bucket/Smoker/e026.jpg[/img]]

While this was in the fridge curing for 6 days I turned it once a day and kept thinking that the smell was overpowering and there were too many spices in the recipe. But after rinsing and smoking and letting it rest overnight in the fridge the results were very good. My wife, our daughter and her kids all love it. Now I wish I did the whole loin not just half. I have been told that I will be making more of this stuff.

I found it a little dry and will likely try to find another recipe that uses a brine instead of a dry cure to see if that produces a juicier product. But I will still make this again too.

mikecorn.1

Looks good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Keymaster

Looks Great, Nice job!!

ghost9mm

That is some real nice lookin CC...great money shot...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

KyNola

Your CB looks really good.  You mentioned that you thought it was a little dry.  You didn't indicate at what IT you pulled the CB but that may have something to do with the dryness you thought it had.  I now pull mine out at 140 and wrap in foil.  It will cruise right on up to around 145 and be very moist.

Habs taught me that trick and he has made tons of CB.

JZ

KyNola,

I cooked to IT of 145 then let rest till cool, wrapped in plastic and then into the fridge overnight.

I will try your suggestion next time and thanks for the tip. 8)

Half of this stuff is already gone. :)

Quarlow

John, Do like Kynola said. Pull it at 140f. it makes a big diff. My first batch was 145 and slightly dry. Second batch and all since 140 and nice and moist.
Also if you freeze it, I find it gets a course texture that I don't care for. I prefer to just make some every couple of weeks or so and have it fresh.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

viper125

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Quarlow

Wow when I looked closer at your pic I notice how nice that loin is. That is the nicest I have seen. Mine are always fattier than that.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

SouthernSmoked

WOW!!  That really looks good!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

viper125

looking fantastic!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

I prefer dry brining over wet brining. Charcuterie has a wet brine:

1 gal Water
1 1/2 c Morton Kosher salt/430g
1 c Sugar/225g
1 1/2 oz Pink Salt/42g (for more flavor you can go as high as 3.2 oz)
1 large bunch of sage
1 bunch thyme
2 garlic clove; peeled and slightly smashed

1 (4 lb) pork loin, boneless, all fat and silver skin removed

Combine all ingredients except pork, in stock pot. Bring to a simmer making sure all salt and sugar is dissolve. Note: I alway add the cure after the brine has cooled.

Allow brine to cool to at least 40°F, before placing meat in brine. Refrigerate for 48 hours.

Remove loin from brine, and let rest 12 -  24 hours uncovered in refrigerator prior to smoking. I cook to an internal temperature of 140°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JZ

Thanks Colin - I will definitely do the next batch at 140. I was reluctant to freeze the last piece I have and am now glad that I didn't. Have you had any issues with freezing the loin first then smoking / curing? This stuff is pretty lean and I like that since I am supposed to reduce my fat intake. Got this from Costco in Kamloops for $4.97 Kg.

Habs - thanks for the wet brine recipe and for your thoughts on wet brining. Maybe I should just stick the dry brine and cook to a lower IT. 

Quarlow

No problems with that as my loins were frozen when I got them.

OBS
BBQ

Habanero Smoker

One other thought; when I know I am going to make Canadian Bacon I try not to purchase whole boneless loins. I look for boneless loin roast that has been cut from the shoulder end. It is darker in color, has more flavor, connective tissue and fat; and the end product is more moist. If I don't see that cut in the meat case I will go to the meat counter and see if the butcher has any in the back.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)