• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Twisting Links after Refrigerating

Started by purecharger, May 21, 2012, 06:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purecharger

Saturday night I stuffed a 5lb batch of sausage, and left it coiled in the fridge on paper towels in a baking sheet. I tried to twist them into links the next morning, and can't do it without blowing it out. I tried again after leaving out of the fridge for an hour tonight, and blew out another link. I don't want to leave it out too much longer to warm up, what should I do?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: purecharger on May 21, 2012, 06:11:54 PM
Saturday night I stuffed a 5lb batch of sausage, and left it coiled in the fridge on paper towels in a baking sheet. I tried to twist them into links the next morning, and can't do it without blowing it out. I tried again after leaving out of the fridge for an hour tonight, and blew out another link. I don't want to leave it out too much longer to warm up, what should I do?

The meat mix already had time to bind together. Why dont you try to gently tie into links with some butcher twine.

purecharger

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on May 21, 2012, 06:22:51 PM
The meat mix already had time to bind together. Why dont you try to gently tie into links with some butcher twine.

Thanks! I was able to get them pinched enough with butchers twine to then twist into links.

pikeman_95

Next time give each link a pinch where you want to twist it as it comes off the stuffer. It will give you enough space to twist later with out blowing casings. Here is a video of giving them the pinch as they come off the stuffer tube. My partner is twisting them just off camera.

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/pikeman_95/A%20%20SAUSAGE%20WITH%20FRIENDS%20280%20POUNDS/?action=view&current=STUFFINGTHEGERMANFRANKS.mp4

if you are going to twist them do it before you set them in the fridge.