Few questions

Started by Unidos, May 23, 2012, 07:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unidos

I set up my smoker to season it. Per the instructions I set the temp to 150, I noticed the oven temp was 162 on up to 173 and back to 162 for the whole hour. Is this becausthis was empty or is it inaccurate. Temp outside was low 80s

What are my options other than frog mats, could I use aluminum mesh cut to fit the racks.

Thank you all in advance
Bradley Digital 4Rack

I Make my own Beer, Butter & Cheese.....

mikecorn.1

The temp swings are normal. Don't sweat it.
Frogmats are nonstick. I don't think you'll have much luck with wire mesh if your looking for non stick. They clean up extremely easy.
If its for smoking small items and your not worried to much about stuff sticking, then I say you can use the mesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

devo

Be careful of what wire mesh you use. Some have chemicals on them to stop rusting and such. Get the frog mats and you won't regret it.

Unidos

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on May 23, 2012, 07:47:50 PM
The temp swings are normal. Don't sweat it.
Frogmats are nonstick. I don't think you'll have much luck with wire mesh if your looking for non stick. They clean up extremely easy.
If its for smoking small items and your not worried to much about stuff sticking, then I say you can use the mesh.

Thank you, I wanted to make the Siracha almonds this weekend and figured wire mesh was easy to get cause the Frogs will not be here in time. Who has the best price on Frogmats? 
Bradley Digital 4Rack

TedEbear

Quote from: Unidos on May 23, 2012, 08:17:07 PMWho has the best price on Frogmats?

I bought mine from Yard and Pool.  I got some when they were running a special but their regular prices for them are pretty good.  You might try a Google search first.

KyNola

Ultimately buy the Frogmats but for this weekend, just place some cheesecloth on the racks and smoke your almonds.  That will work for now.

JZ

I have been using aluminum screen for smoking nuts and I prefer it to frog mats (just for the nuts) because it can be rolled up the sides of the racks so the nuts don't fall off the edge. But for other foods you will love the frog mats - they are non stick and clean up easy.

The aluminum screen can be purchased at most hardware stores and it is cheap.

Unidos

Quote from: KyNola on May 23, 2012, 08:49:41 PM
Ultimately buy the Frogmats but for this weekend, just place some cheesecloth on the racks and smoke your almonds.  That will work for now.

Great!  now I have a reason to go to the beer supply. 
Bradley Digital 4Rack

mikecorn.1

I've also seen disposable grill covers used for grilling or smoking small items. The cheese cloth idea is great. You can always make a border with aluminum paper.

Mike

Unidos

Any suggestions for a cart/table to set this thing on.
Bradley Digital 4Rack

mikecorn.1

Any rolling cart will do as long as you can fit it on there nicely. Just make sure you put some kind of brace around the edge or rig something up so that it doesn't vibrate off while your rolling it around. I made my own with some storage on the bottom. Nothing fancy. Just with some spare wood I had laying around.

Mike