• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Not a good day

Started by rajzer, May 27, 2012, 05:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rajzer

Cured my meat for sausage for two days.  Got up super early this morning, ground, spiced, mixed and stuffed 10 lbs of Polish and 10lbs of Hungarian.  It looked great.  Went out to preheat the smoker and came back an hour later to discover that the heat element was not working! The smoker is just over a year old, so off warranty.  I put the Hungarian in anyway and smoked it at 100 for about an hour then stuck my halogen spot light in and got the heat up to 1870-180 for about an hour.  The sausage was stating to cook and take on colour, then the halogen fried on me.  I finished the sausage by poaching it.  The Polish is in the smoker at around 120.  After 3 hours I'll take it out and finish it by baking.  Hoping it will at least be edible.  What a wasted day.  All I can say is that I regret getting the OBS.

Toker

Sorry to hear about your problem but just by curiosity, is your smoker really THE ORIGINAL SMOKER (the one with smoke design on the door) or the BLACK? Cause it is the first time that i hear this trouble with this one. This smoker as been released after the bad batch of elements has been fixed and it is not even one year old.

rajzer

No, I guess I don't have the OBS model.  It's the basic 4 tray model, purchased at Canadian Tire a year ago.  My first and last Bradley.

Toker

Hang on man ;)  this problem have been fixed. Just call Bradley tomorow and the will get you back on track.

Patdaddy

Waaaaaaait,
Don't give up...if you do you will miss a whole new world of "smoking" possibilities.
Think of it as an accountant tells you, "you owe mucho taxes"; next step "new accountant" same problem, just a different outlook.
I can personally state based on experience Bradley is very good at "fixing" problems, give them a call, you will most likely be pleasantly surprised with their attention to problems/details.

If I knew what I was doing I would probably be bored.

Toker

Pat you're sooo right :)

rajzer

Well I am greatly disappointed because I planned and studied these two recipes for weeks, made adjustments, calculated the ingredients, ran around town to find real Hungarian paprika, then the friggin smoker craps out! Will call Bradley and fix it, but my sausages are ruined!

Toker

Just ask for a spare one at the same time just in case.

Habanero Smoker

Sorry to hear about your problem. Seeing that this was part of an extended recipe development, I may have froze the sausage, and waited for the Bradley to be fixed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

So i guess this means goodbye  :'(

rajzer

Well the Polish turned out not too bad.  It had 3 hours in the smoker, the temp managed to get to 140 and it took on colour for the most part.  It then had half an our in the oven till the temp reached 120.  I then poached it until it reached 155.  Hell of a lot of work. The Hungarian is edible but does not look good.  Home consumption only, would be too embarrassed to share it.

No really good bye NePas, I'm stuck with the Brad for now, but will be looking at other options.  I would like to have something bigger anyway, and use the little thing for small cooking like ribs or chicken.  Besides, I still have about 2 years supply of pucks. So you will be stuck with me here for a while.

NePaSmoKer

Here is a bigger smoker for ya.

Just drive down to GA and git it......Oh and bring USD  ;D

devo

Can you put that on a grey hound bus for me Rick  :o

rajzer

I am green, red with envy. 

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: devo on May 28, 2012, 08:45:54 AM
Can you put that on a grey hound bus for me Rick  :o

Aint that a south bound train to Georgia  :o