Early topic but 4th of July butts, could use some expert advice

Started by Consooger, June 23, 2012, 11:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

So after my Memorial Day butts I have been pegged to do more pulled mork for the 4th of July. This time instead of 1 it's 3. We're doing a 4th of July paty and my Fiance's celebration of getting her teaching Master's Degree. So here's my problem.....AGAIN since I work for a HUGE grocery company and I manage the transport of ALL produce we';re EXTREMELY busy. SO My plan was to put 2 butts in around 9 am when I get home Tuesday morning from work and smoke them for about 5 hours, wake up pull them, put those 2 into the oven, and put the 3rd into the bradley for 5 hours of smoke and the remainder of the cook.

***NOTE***
There will be a butt in the Bradley and 2 in the oven and I will be at work starting 11:00 PM until 7:00 am. Please post concerns because normally would do this while I was around or I would do it all in the Bradley but being away at work and my fiance alone with the oven going 12 +hours worries me.

Any ideas? Maybe I'm just overly concerned but I have never done 3 at once...

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

squirtthecat

I think you'll be fine finishing them in the oven.  Many people do this, or even in a crock pot after the smoking phase is over.

beefmann

just a thought, Cold smoke all the butts in the bradley, then transfer to the oven for the cook at 225 till 195 it and pull    I think 5 hours of smoke might a be a  bit much, i generally do 3 to 4 hours max though that is personal taste.

KyNola

Quote from: beefmann on June 24, 2012, 06:43:01 AM
just a thought, Cold smoke all the butts in the bradley, then transfer to the oven for the cook at 225 till 195 it and pull    I think 5 hours of smoke might a be a  bit much, i generally do 3 to 4 hours max though that is personal taste.
I agree with the above except I don't see a reason to cold smoke them.  Put all 3 in the Bradley at 225, smoke for 4 hours and then move all 3 to the house oven.

mikecorn.1

Sounds like a good plan to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

4given

I have finished butts in the oven and they come out the same as if I finished them in the Bradley.  Plus it saves time!

My wife watches the smokes I start on Thurday nights and Fridays (she is off Friday) and even FTC's them and she does fine. It's all in the training! Plus I am only a phone call away. A great way to build trust in your relationship!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

Ka Honu

Quote from: KyNola on June 24, 2012, 06:48:22 AM... Put all 3 in the Bradley at 225, smoke for 4 hours and then move all 3 to the house oven.

KyNola gets the prize for the correct answer (He does that a lot).  The even-more-correct answer is to finish one of the butts in a crockpot and mix the three when you pull.

Here's the link to my last cook doing pretty much exactly what you say you want to do in my "stock" OBS.

TedEbear

It looks like they have you covered on the cooking.  You might consider something like the tool below if you're going to be pulling 3 butts.  Whenever I pull one it takes me about 15 minutes to do it.  I've been asked to smoke 3 butts for a party June 30. It would have taken me 30-45 minutes to pull all of that. With this tool I received for Father's Day it will now take me more like 30-45 seconds.   :)

Roman Pork Puller

Roman Pork Puller Video

And here's a slightly less expensive version:  Ultimate Pork Puller

sjmcdowall

TedEbear

Quote from: sjmcdowall on June 25, 2012, 10:52:57 AM
I use Bear Claws to pull poke -- they work great and are pretty cheap!

Those are what I used to use that took me 15 minutes per butt to pull.  With the Roman Pork Puller it will now be more like 15 seconds.  I probably wouldn't have bought one but it was a free gift, so I figure why not use it.

mikecorn.1

Here's my pork puller ;)
Don't take long at all

Mike

watchdog56

If your butts are in from 11;00 to 7;00 make sure you have a big pan of apple juice or beer to catch the juices and you won't get a flare up.

I am like mike,I use a fork.

tdwester

Consooger

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on June 25, 2012, 12:51:40 PM
Here's my pork puller ;)
Don't take long at all

One of the cheapest pullers for pork out there!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife